BOULTWOOD'S FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1305727

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: BOULTWOOD'S FARMHOUSE, RAYNE HATCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOULTWOOD'S FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305727 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 16:25:54.

Location

Statutory Address: BOULTWOOD'S FARMHOUSE, RAYNE HATCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Stisted

National Grid Reference: TL 78922 27059

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 72 NE STISTED RAYNE HATCH (west side)

1/276 Boultwood's Farmhouse

GV II

House. C17, altered in early C19. Timber framed, mainly clad with red brick in Flemish bond, partly plastered, roofed with slate. Main range of 3 bays facing SE, with axial stack one bay from right end, and stack in left end wall. C17 service range to rear of right end. Early C19 wing to rear of left end, canted to left. Single-storey lean-to extension between rear ranges. 2 storeys and cellar. 2 full-height splayed bays of sashes of 8, 12 and 8 lights, with some crown glass. Central first-floor sash of 6 lights with semi-circular head. Central 6-panel door (4 fielded, bottom panels flush), doorcase with engaged fluted columns, altered capitals, and shallow canopy. Projecting eaves, hipped roof of shallow pitch. The left return has one early C19 sash of 16 lights in a segmental arch, and a 6-panel door (4 fielded, bottom panels flush) in doorcase with panelled jambs and soffit, and fanlight with cast iron radial tracery. The rear elevation of the left wing has a full-height bow of curved sashes. The main range has chamfered axial beams (partly boxed in), some exposed heavy studding with primary straight bracing in the rear wall, an early C19 stair with wreathed handrail and stick balusters, a grey and white marble fire surround, and several C17 and C18 doors. Original oak floorboards on first floor. Well in cellar. The rear left wing has a white marble fire surround with paterae, and reeded doorcases with paterae. The ground-floor bow has curved folding shutters and reeded jambs; the first-floor bow has a reeded surround with paterae. Early C19 cast iron grates in all hearths at left end of house. The rear right wing has been reduced from 2 storeys to one storey, and has a corrugated asbestos roof; chamfered axial beams, exposed joists of vertical section. The will of John Bolthood in 1471 is mentioned by P. Morant, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, 1768, II, 394.

Listing NGR: TL7892227059

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116295

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768), 394

End of official listing