THE DOLPHIN PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1305782

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: THE DOLPHIN PUBLIC HOUSE, COGGESHALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DOLPHIN PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305782 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 00:07:04.

Location

Statutory Address: THE DOLPHIN PUBLIC HOUSE, COGGESHALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Stisted

National Grid Reference: TL 79528 23363

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 72 SE STISTED COGGESHALL ROAD (north side)

4/261 The Dolphin Public House

GV II

House, now public house. Mid-C16, altered in C18. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Single range facing SE comprising one long bay, and one short bay at each end. C19 internal stack against front wall of long bay. C17/18 one-bay extension to left, with external stack at end. One storey with attics. Single-storey lean-to extension with slate roof at rear, and C20 flat-roofed single-storey extension beyond. 3 C20 and 2 C19 sashes, and 4 C20 sashes in slate-roofed lean-to dormers. C20 door. Gambrel roof, half-hipped at right end. Chamfered axial beam with step stops in each bay; plain joists of horizontal section jointed to it with soffit tenons with diminished haunches. Trimmed stair trap, blocked, in rear of right bay. The former partition between this bay and the long bay has been removed, and the rear half of the beam. Most of the studding of the rear wall has been removed for the bar and for modern apertures. The left extension has plain joists arranged longitudinally, supported on a pegged clamp, and some modern joists. The frame is illustrated in C.A. Hewett, The Development of Carpentry, 1200-1700, an Essex Study, 1969, 150 (wrongly attributed to the parish of Bradwell-juxta-Coggeshall). Hewett dated it c.1565, but the step stops indicate that this is the latest possible date. RCHM 14.

Listing NGR: TL7952823363

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116278

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A, The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700 An Essex Study, (1969), 150

End of official listing