This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1305786



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Frithelstock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91413

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


FRITHELSTOCK SS41NW 10/97 Knaworthy Farmhouse II Farmhouse. Early C17, with later C17 extension to right. Colourwashed render over coursed slatestone rubble; gabled Welsh slate roof; rendered stone ridge stack and external left end stack. Early C17 one-unit plan with rear outshut; a 2-unit plan with central lobby-entry was added to the right in the later C17; the later C17 house evidently consisted of a parlour to left, central hall and unheated service room to right. 2 storeys; 5-window range. C20 door and porch. Flat rendered arches over C20 windows. C17 outshut to rear left, heightened in C20 and adjoining C20 porch. Interior: early C17 section to left, of one-unit plan with rear outshut, has plaster panel with relief lettering reading IHTH/1529, chamfered beam and open fireplace with cloam oven in front room, which also has two C17 chamfered wooden doorframes to rear outshut; left side of outshut contained staircase which has been removed; first floor has 3 similar doorframes, one with ovolo-moulded architrave. Later C17 extension to right; central room, former hall, has stone-flag floor, roll-stopped beam, scribed joists, open fireplace with cloam oven and chamfered doorframe to staircase positioned at rear of stack; chamfered beam in room to right; two C17 A-frame trusses, with pegged collars (one with open notch-lapped joint) and ridge purlin set in notched apexes. The early C17 plaster panel is unusual in having the 1527 date, which may have recorded an important marriage.

Listing NGR: SS4345317750

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 43453 17750


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305786 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 12:24:38.

End of official listing