WALL TO THE CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1305850
Date first listed:
29-Nov-1973
Statutory Address:
WALL TO THE CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALL TO THE CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305850 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 13:17:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALL TO THE CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Braintree (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 75681 25660

Details



691/5/187 CHURCH STREET 29-NOV-73 BOCKING CHURCH STREET (Northwest side) WALL TO THE CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

II*

C16 with C17 and later repairs MATERIALS: Flint rubble, patched with brick of various dates.

PLAN: On S and W sides of churchyard

EXTERIOR A C16 flint rubble wall, patched with C17 and later brick. It is embattled and has moulded stone copings. Near the NW end are traces of an opening. The N wall is C17 brick on a flint rubble base.

HISTORY The church of St Mary, Bocking is an important C14 and later wool church that has considerable work of the late C15 and early C16, a campaign of works to which the wall may be related.

SOURCES RCHME Essex I (1916), 33

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION The wall to the church of St Mary the Virgin, Braintree, Essex is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * An important survival of a C16 churchyard wall, much restored in the C17 and later.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
113713
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12373/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].