JUBILEE SCHOOL AND ATTACHED SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1305884
Date first listed:
20-May-1985
Statutory Address:
JUBILEE SCHOOL AND ATTACHED SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of JUBILEE SCHOOL AND ATTACHED SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305884 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 16:24:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
JUBILEE SCHOOL AND ATTACHED SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Broad Clyst
National Grid Reference:
SX 98395 97450

Details

SX 99 NE BROADCLYST SCHOOL LANE, Broadclyst 5/125 Jubilee School and attached - Schoolmaster's House

- II

School and schoolmaster's house. 1810 with later C19 alterations and extension. A one storeyed rubble sandstone range of 2 builds under a continuous roof of later clay plain tiles, gabled end to left, hipped to right. The 1810 work lies to the right of a shallow front wing which, with the range to the left belongs to the late C19. The rear wing includes the house and dates from the earlier period. The old school: 5-window symmetrical range to front, 3 central, 3-light pointed windows with moulded timber transoms and mullions (with 12:14:12 panes). 1-light, 14-pane pointed windows to each side. All timber, probably late C19. Dressed window surrounds in Killerton stone contrast nicely with red rubble. Over the central window, the eaves line is broken by an inscription panel with dressed trap surround, separately gabled, which bears the legend: 'JUBILEE SCHOOL. BUILT IN THE 50TH YEAR OF THE REIGN OF KING GEORGE III A.D. 1810 BY SIR THOMAS DYKE ACLAND, BT. THE FEAR OF GOD IS THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM!' Right-hand end with stack in dressed trap, one pair of set-offs and one large (late C19) 3-light casement window, 3 panes to each light belong. Inserted entrance door to right of window. Rear of old school: one 3-light pointed window identical to those at the front, and original entrance under lean-to. Gabled-end rear wing containing one school room (with late C19 3-light window) and the house which continues at the same ridge and eaves level, the latter broken by one small gabled dormer. Axial Tudor-style brick stack with triple octagonal shafts. Large square-headed 3-light casement window 10 panes per light, under a pointed stone relieving arch. Door with little C20 gabled porch, with a 2-light casement window to the right at ground-floor level, timber, 8 panes to each light. Masonry joint to right of this and a blocked entrance. End elevation of wing with three 2-light windows. The later C19 range and front wing: wing with 2 windows, range with 3 to front, all 3-light, 3 panes to each light.

Listing NGR: SX9840297448

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88438
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11288/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Vickery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].