FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND GATEWAY ADJOINING EAST OF WEST WEEK FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1306024
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND GATEWAY ADJOINING EAST OF WEST WEEK FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND GATEWAY ADJOINING EAST OF WEST WEEK FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306024 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 12:05:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND GATEWAY ADJOINING EAST OF WEST WEEK FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
South Tawton
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 65702 92606

Details

SX 69 SE SOUTH TAWTON

4/174 Front garden walls and gateway 22.2.67 adjoining east of West Week farmhouse GV II*

Front garden walls and gatehouse. Gateway is dated 1656 and most of the walls are probably contemporary although the south side is probably C19. Gateway is granite ashlar, the walls are granite stone rubble, the original parts with granite ashlar coping. Description: the gateway has an embattled parapet with moulded coping. The low ellipitical arch has a moulded surround and spandrels are carved with fleur-de-lys. This is recessed in a flat-topped arch with hoodmould over and the date 1656 is carved onto the labels. Above this is a plaque carved with the Battishill arms. The plank door is a C20 rebuild but appears to reuse some of the original ferramenta. The gateway is in the north side of the enclosure in front (east) of the farmhouse. It is flanked by a high stone rubble wall with granite ashlar coping (keel-shaped in section). The original wall returns along the east side but the south side is C19 and does not have the ashlar coping. This is an attractive and unusual feature associated with the important West Week Farmhouse (q.v).

Listing NGR: SX6570292606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
94968
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].