GROUP OF SEVEN MEMORIALS, INCLUDING TROTMAN AND TURNER, LOCATED CIRCA 3 METRES NORTH OF NORTH WALL OF NORTH AISLE OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND EXTENDING OVERALL CIRCA 25 METRES FROM EAST TO WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1306101
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1984
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF SEVEN MEMORIALS, INCLUDING TROTMAN AND TURNER, LOCATED CIRCA 3 METRES NORTH OF NORTH WALL OF NORTH AISLE OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND EXTENDING OVERALL CIRCA 25 METRES FROM EAST TO WEST, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF SEVEN MEMORIALS, INCLUDING TROTMAN AND TURNER, LOCATED CIRCA 3 METRES NORTH OF NORTH WALL OF NORTH AISLE OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND EXTENDING OVERALL CIRCA 25 METRES FROM EAST TO WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306101 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 05:46:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF SEVEN MEMORIALS, INCLUDING TROTMAN AND TURNER, LOCATED CIRCA 3 METRES NORTH OF NORTH WALL OF NORTH AISLE OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND EXTENDING OVERALL CIRCA 25 METRES FROM EAST TO WEST, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Cam
National Grid Reference:
ST 75729 99354

Details

ST 79 NE CAM CHURCH ROAD 4/10P (north side)

Group of seven memorials, including Trotman and Turner, located c3 m north of north wall of north aisle of Parish Church of St Georg and extending overall GV c25m from east to west

II*

These seven memorials from a regular line, parallel with the north aisle wall. They are recorded from east to west.

(i) Chest tomb. C17. Limestone. Very thick moulded top, moulded base. Inscriptions not legible. Located 3 m north of east end of north aisle.

(ii) Chest tomb. Mid C17. Limestone. Very thick moulded top, moulded base. To EDWARD TROTMAN THE ELDER, 1633, who was born in 1545. Excellent lettering to inscription.

(iii) Chest tomb. C18, but earliest legible date early C19. Limestone. Cyma top, cavetto base, quarter balusters, fielded panels. To ... TURNER, Nash Cart, 1809, but this is an early to mid C18 memorial. Located c3 m due west of Trotman memorial (q.v.).

(iv) Chest tomb. Early C17. Limestone. Thick top, squared edges but moulded to short ends, two circular panels north and south sides, some decoration east and west. Inscriptions not legible. Similar in design to Trotman memorial (q.v.). Located immediately to west of Turner memorial (q.v.).

(v) Chest tomb. Early C18. Limestone. Thick moulded top, cavetto base, quarter balusters, baroque cartouches, square sunk panel with egg and dart north side, but cartouche to south. Inscriptions not legible. Located c3 m north-west of north-west corner of north aisle.

(vi) Chest tomb. Early C18. Limestone. Cyma top, cavetto base, baroque lyre ends, rectangular panels, with fine carved hanging drapes north side. Inscriptions not legible. Central in sub-group of three memorials.

(vii) Chest tomb. Early C18. Limestone. Heavy cyma top, cavetto base, lyre ends, baroque decoration including cartouches north and south sides. This is the most westerly item in the group of seven, located c7.50 m north of north-west corner of tower. Leaning badly at time of survey.

An especially good group in architectural and historical importance.

Listing NGR: ST7572999354

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
131423
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06725/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr William Henley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].