This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL OF ST LUKE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1306210

Location

CHAPEL OF ST LUKE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Crediton Hamlets

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-May-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 95161

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 89 NW CREDITON HAMLETS

7/60 Chapel of St Luke

II

Small chapel. 1835 according to date plaque. Snecked, rock-faced Posbury volcanic stone with Salcombe and Beer stone dressings; slate roof. Gothic revival. Gable ended block housing nave and chancel under same roof, west porch and southern sacristy. West end has central gabled porch with moulded Salcombe stone arch with hoodmould, the gable has coping on kneelers with stone cross on apex. Flanking buttresses to main gable which is surmounted by octagonal Beer stone chimney shaft on a rectangular base with recessed panel containing the date 1835. Under the gable a small Beer stone niche with cinquefoil-heade arch and hoodmould used to house bell. 3-window south front, all Beer stone square-headed windows of 3 lights with cinquefoil heads and hoodmoulds with 4-leaf labels. Projecting coved eaves cornice. Gabled sacristy right of centre has Decorated arched gable window, 2- lights with hoodmould. Similar 4-light window in east end with Geometric tracery. 4 square-headed Beer stone windows to north similar to those on south. Plain interior of mostly C19 fittings. Flat ceiling and half dome over altar with moulded ribs and panels painted as night sky. Plain oak pews include smaller versions at the front for children. Oak altar rail on wrought iron supports with sroll brackets and spiral-twist centre sections. Carved oak reredos flanked by large tapestries depicting scenes from early life of Christ. East window contains stained glass, the Davis Memorial window of 1908 by H J Salisbury of London and St Albans. 3 of nave windows retain C19 leaded lights of small diamond quarries and rectangular frosted panes. Source: Devon C19 Church Project

Listing NGR: SX8131797657

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 81317 97657

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 05:55:08.

End of official listing