CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1306217

Date first listed: 16-Apr-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306217 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 17:40:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Swafield

National Grid Reference: TG 26797 33302

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SWAFIELD BRADFIELD TG 23 SE CHURCH ROAD 3/85 Church of St. Giles 16.4.55 - II*

Parish church. C14 with west tower of late C15. Flint with ashlar quoins and slate roofs. Nave and chancel. Nave aisles removed and church partly rebuilt 1786. 4 stage tower with string courses between floors. Diagonal stepped buttresses. 3-light west window. Square ringing chamber windows pierced with tracery of 4 mouchettes in diagonal petal disposition. 2-light square-headed belfry windows. Stair turret to south-east. Nave with stepped side buttresses, those between windows rebuilt in new position 1786. Gabled south porch of rendered brick with ashlar quoins, all rebuilt. Over arched entrance a date plaque commemorating reconstruction of church. 3 2-light Y tracery windows to nave, each in centre of blocked arcade openings. Chancel supported by one stepped side buttress to south and eastern polygonal turrets topped by crocketed finials. 2 3-light cusped intersecting south windows with hoods on head stops. Arched priests' door deflects path of string course running beneath window sills. 5-light cusped intersecting chancel east window. North chancel with one blocked window to west of lean-to C18 pantiled vestry of rendered brick construction. Arched doorway to east, 2-light Y traceried window to north. Interior. Octagonal piers of 4-bay arcade survive embedded in nave walls with polygonal moulded capitals and hollow chamfered arches. Tall wave moulded tower arch with semi-circular responds. Similar chancel arch with octagonal responds and polygonal capitals. Fine C14 scissor braced roof with collars and ashlaring. Octagonal C15 font with engaged columns to stem framing ogee arches. Bowl alternately decorated with panels of twin ogee arches and 4-lobed petal tracery. C14 wall painting over chancel arch depicts Christ exhibiting his wounds. Arched priests' door in north chancel wall leads into vestry. To left blocked window, to right basket- arched recess. Cinquefoiled arched piscina in south wall. C18 chancel roof of thin scantling : collars on arched braces, principals and 2 tiers taper- tenoned butt purlins.

Listing NGR: TG2679733302

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 224299

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing