OGWELL GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1306251

Date first listed: 15-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: OGWELL GRANGE, RECTORY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OGWELL GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306251 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 07:57:34.

Location

Statutory Address: OGWELL GRANGE, RECTORY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Ogwell

National Grid Reference: SX 84148 69473

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 86 NW OGWELL RECTORY ROAD

4/19 Ogwell Grange

- II

House, formerly a rectory. Built 1849 (White's Directory of Devonshire, 1850). Stone, with slate roofs and brick chimneys. Romantically asymmetrical 'Tudor' design. 2 storeys, U-shaped plan, the main house occupying one side and half the base of the U, the service wing occupying the rest. North-west (garden) front dominated off-centre to left by gabled projection with canted bay window of 2 storeys. 1 window in each storey to left of projection, 2 to right. Second-storey windows have gables above them, each with a slit window in its centre. Both these and the gabled projection complete with kneelers and copings. Sash windows, those in second storey with a single glazing-bar. North-east (entrance front) has slightly lower roofline to service wing on left, but otherwise a single design. To right, gabled projection with bay window like that on garden front. To left of projection an entrance porch set at an angle, pent roof, 4-centred arched doorway containing double doors, studded and with ornate strap-hinges. Left-hand end of front has 2 projecting chimney-stacks, that on right with a quirky angle-buttress. Between this and the porch a ground-storey window with 2 Tudor-arched lights. South-east front has 2 ground-storey and 1 second-storey window with latticed iron glazing. Dramatic roof-lines to whole building with crested ridge-tiles and clustered chimney-shafts, the latter diagonally-set and with decorative tops. Well-preserved interior. Formerly known as East Ogwell Rectory.

Listing NGR: SX8414869473

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 84296

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Whites Directory, (1850)
'Whites Directory' in Whites Directory, (1850)

End of official listing