CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE, THE STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306257.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2020 at 19:32:23.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE, THE STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Uttlesford (District Authority)
- Little Bardfield
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 65546 30744
TL 63 SE LITTLE BARDFIELD THE STREET
2/21 Church of St. Katharine(former1y listed 20.2.67 as Church of St GV I Catherine)
Parish church. Saxon West Tower and Nave. Rebuilt Chancel with some C14 detail. C15 South Porch. C19 North Vestry and south Organ Chamber. Flint rubble, some clunch and occasional Roman bricks and tiles. Red plain tiled gabled roofs to Chancel, Nave, Organ Chamber and South Porch, stone parapet verges, stone Cross finials to gables, that to Nave now a stump. Fish scale slates to C19 tower spire. East window of Chancel of 3 cusped lights with tracery over. Label with foliate stops. Buttress between Chancel and Organ Chamber, angle buttress to latter. C19 circular window to Organ Chamber gable. 2 windows to south wall of Organ Chamber, that to east a trefoiled 2 light window with label over, to west a chamfered and moulded 2 light rectangular window, a smaller similar window to south wall. C19 nailed plank and muntin door, 2 centre arched surround with label between south wall windows. Nave south wall has a Saxon round-headed window to the west and above the C15 south doorway, this with moulded jambs, 2 centred arch under a square head with sunk traceried spandrels and moulded label. Painted inscription over this doorway reads "Reverence My Sanctuary". C14 east window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with tracery under a segmental pointed head with label. Gabled south porch has a restored C15 2 centred arch with moulded jambs, traceried internal and external spandrels and moulded label. Circa 1894 niche over with statue of St. Katharine. 5 cant roof. North wall of Nave has two 2 light windows, that to west C15 of cinquefoil lights under a segmental pointed head. C14 western window of trefoiled ogee lights with tracery under segmental pointed head. C19 plastered north vestry with tile coping to gable, east 2 centre arched door in timber surround. North 2 light rectangular timber window in chamfered surround. The quoins of the 5 stage west Tower are of flint as are those of the Nave. C19 stone capped crenellations. C19 west window of 3 ogee lights with reticulated tracery over in a 2 centred arch. Head stops to label. Third stage north, south and west faces have each 2 original round-headed windows without dressings. All faces of fourth stage have original windows of 2 round-headed lights with flint rubble between their. All faces of fifth stage with 2 original round-headed windows. There is a C19 round head window, brick dressed and with sounding louvres to the north face of this stage. Weathercock to spire. interior. Chancel ceiled 7 cant roof with circa 1914 bosses and angels to moulded wall plates. C19 stalls with early C16 poppy heads to 2 bench ends. Bench made up of C17 fluted rails and twisted legs. Round head piscina. Recess to north wall with pilasters and pointed head. C19 reredos is a copy of a previous reredos found hidden in th east wall during restorations. Moulded and chamfered arch to south wall leads into the C19 organ chamber. Organ and organ-case said to be circa 1700 by Renatus Harris for Jesus College, Cambridge, installed at Little Bardfield after offer of payment of £55.00 1865/66. Case of oak, middle part with carved and pierced frieze and rails, moulded cornice, side wings on semi-circular brackets enriched with cherub heads. C17 inlaid panelled oak chest. Old re-set stained glass in south wall western window. The design St. Katharine in stained glass was taken from a small plaque of Limoges enamel found in the churchyard during circa 1856 restorations. C15 rebuilt 2 centred Chancel arch with moulded capitals and chamfered jambs. Low panelling and double gates to Chancel. Crenellated and moulded rood beam surmounted by C19/C20 figures of Christ crucified and the 2 ovaries. Early C14 Nave roof of tall cross quadrate, 4 armed crown post construction, moulded wall plates, moulded wall posts on semi-octagonal stone corbels. Arched braces to moulded tie beams. Square pulpit with late C19 sounding board over. Squint to south west wall. Carved panel with achievement of arms above squint. Panelled walls to pews. Tiled and plastered recess to west of pulpit believed to be remains of an Easter Sephulchre, possibly the remains of stairs to the rood loft. Some small areas of painting to walls. Carved wood monument to 1914-1918 War to south west wall. C15 tower arch, 2 centred of 2 moulded orders. Octagonal font with sunk quatrefoiled panels, moulded base. Bells. Circa 1624 by William Laud. C14/C15 probably by John Bird inscribed Sum Rosa Pulsata Mundi Katerina Vocata. The bell frame is old and for 4 bells. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TL6554630744
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing