This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RAVENINGHAM HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RAVENINGHAM HALL

List entry Number: 1306263

Location

RAVENINGHAM HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Raveningham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 227128

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAVENINGHAM RAVENINGHAM PARK TM 39 NE 6/126 Raveningham Hall 25-9-51 GV II*

Country house. Late C18: built for Sir Edmund Bacon, 8th and 9th Baronet (d.1820); C19 and early C20 remodelling; early C20 work by Somers Clark, architect. Red brick with hipped roof of black glazed pantiles. Three storeys and attics, 7 x 5 bays. Symmetrical south front of seven bays arranged 2:3:2, the centre three bays slightly advanced under a pediment. Sashes with glazing bars; smaller, square openings to second floor. Central three-bay portico on Tuscan columns; platband at first floor level. Modillion cornice below eaves parapet. Four pedimented attic dormers. Circular window with keyed surround in pediment. Lower one-bay two storey side wings with four-bay screen walls forming links to side wings, now demolished. North front arranged 2:3:2 as south, with two-storey canted bay windows flanking the centre three-bay pediment. Ground floor brought forward in early C20 to form central porch with projecting pedimented stone door surround, panelled reveal and moulded architrave to doorway, the pediment rising above parapet level. Sashes with glazing bars flanking doorway; the outer bays, forming a base to the canted bays, are three windows wide, the centre sash taller and with a semi-circular arched head with keystone. Four main chimney stacks, symmetrically-placed. Some blind second floor window openings to east and west. Interior contains good C18 cantilever staircase with groin-vaulted ceiling and centrepiece with honeysuckle decoration. Interiors much remodelled; C20 plasterwork in C18 style.

Listing NGR: TM3991096467

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,

National Grid Reference: TM 39910 96467

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306263 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 07:08:46.

End of official listing