CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1306308

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306308 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 12:34:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Twinstead

National Grid Reference: TL 86119 36697

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/10/2012

TL 83 NE 5/115 21.6.62

TWINSTEAD CHURCH ROAD (NORTH SIDE) Church of St. John The Evangelist

GV II*

Church. 1859/60, by Charles Woodyer. Red brick with stone dressings and tracery; gabled plain tile roofs. Plan of chancel with organ chamber and vestry to north and nave with south west porch and west bellcote. Middle pointed style. Offset buttresses, with stone gablets to chancel; church encircled by band of black and white polychrome brick, with frieze of white trefoiled panels. Chancel: 3-light east window with octofoil light; south wall has 2 trefoiled lancets and unusual triangular - shaped architrave framing multi-foiled round window; north wall has lean-to and gabled roofs to organ chamber and vestry, which have Caermarvon-arched doorway, Middle Pointed and quatrefoil windows. Nave has 4-light windows, all with distinctive cusping to tracery. Porch has lateral buttresses flanking pointed moulded arch with chamfered outer order and engaged columns; studded door set in early C14 style pointed moulded arch. West elevation: offset buttresses to paired colonettes supporting chamfered pointed arch, framing unusual triangular - shaped window with cusped tracery, continued to gabled bellcote with arched bell opening; C18 weathervane; Interior: waggon roof with moulded ribs to chancel and arch-braced roof with curved wind braces and upper king posts to nave. Floors of mid C19 glazed coloured tiles. Nave and chancel walls are lavishly executed in structural polychromy in red, white and black; nave walls have trellising above strong pattern of blind arcading. Chancel has small piscina, wrought-iron openwork to altar rail and excellent mid C19 stained glass by Hardman; triple chancel arch of limestone with quatrefoil shafts and moulded capitals. Octagonal limestone font with black marble band, supported on central compound pier encircled by open arcade supported on small red marble shafts; unusual cover with dove counterweight to elaborate wrought-iron lifting frame. Memorials: mid/late C19 memorial brasses and tablets; early C17 brass effigies to Wyncoll family in north wall of nave. (RCHM 1; Buildings of England).

Listing NGR: TL8611936697

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115836

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Essex, (1954)

End of official listing