This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OVER HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OVER HALL

List entry Number: 1306326

Location

OVER HALL, OVERHALL HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Colne Engaine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115872

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 83 SE COLNE ENGAINE OVERHALL HILL (south side)

3/23 Over Hall 5.8.86

GV II

House. Early C19. Red brick in Flemish bond with tuck pointing, roofed with slate. Rectangular main block facing W, with 2 service wings to rear. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 4 French windows with some crown glass. First floor, 5 sashes of 12 lights with shallow segmental arches of gauged brick, with original external sliding louvred shutters. Central double half-glazed doors with overlight, Greek Doric portico with triglyph frieze and guttae, and 4 stone steps. 4 plain giant pilasters. Terrace with tented metal canopy on cast iron stanchions. Long overhanging eaves, hipped roof of shallow pitch. The right return has 2 similar French windows, and on the first floor 2 similar sashes (without shutters) and one round window with radial tracery. The interior has 2 original staircases with slender turned balusters, 6-panel door, and numerous original features. A bargain and sale of 1810 records that the property was sold by lsaac Brown and John Share to John Jeremiah Mayhew. An inscription 'NIA 1834' is burned into the wood below the stairs. A slate was found in the roof inscribed 'John White, Earl's Colne, May the 21, 1831, Z. Rogers, J. Newport, Bricklayers'.

Listing NGR: TL8623230818

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 86232 30818

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306326 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 02:40:14.

End of official listing