Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1306331
Date first listed: 26-Oct-1987
Statutory Address: KESWICK HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306331 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 06:26:35.
Statutory Address: KESWICK HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish: Keswick and Intwood
National Grid Reference: TG 20809 04160
TG 20 SW KESWICK KESWICK
6/69 Keswick Hall
House, 1817, with additions of c.1839, by William Wilkins for Richard Hudson Gurney. Gault brick with stone and rendered dressings; slate roof. Double depth; range to south of 7 bays, 3 storeys; attached 2-storeyed single range to north with single-storeyed addition. Forward addition of 1839 to left of south facade with large central semi-circular bay. (Extensive additions to left and right of 1951 for Teacher Training College not listed). Principal facade to garden to south: 7 bays, 3 storeys, hipped slate roof, pediment to 3 central bays. Ground floor a former loggia now infilled, 8 Roman Doric piers having entablature with triglyphs, guttae and mutules. Mid-C19 glazing to loggia: centre 3 bays to ground with horizontal glazing bars and incorporating French windows, bays to left and right with gault brick having similar French windows, bay 1 opening subsequently reduced with rendered surround. First and second floor brought forward over loggia, sashes with glazing bars, stone surrounds and pulvinated friezes. Gurney arms in stone to pediment. 5 bay forward addition to left c.1839: bays 1 and 5 of 3 storeys with vase baluster parapet, sashes with glazing bars and rendered surrounds; central 3 bays with semi-circular front of 2 storeys rising above flanking 3-storeyed bays and reaching eaves level of main facade, stone parapet. Ground floor with stone plinth, 2 pairs of rendered pilasters, broad stone band above; ground and first floors with 3 large curved sashes with glazing bars, rendered surrounds with scroll consoles to entablatures; stone string to first floor. To rear of 5th bay a water tower in gault brick with vase balustrade and semi-circular headed opening with glazing bars. Attached 2 storeyed service wing to left of colourwashed brick, slate roof; some sashes with glazing bars and stone surrounds, other openings altered c.1951. Right return of 3 bays, 2 storeys with lower additional 2 storeyed range to right slightly forward. Ground floor first bay the return of south facade loggia with 2 stone piers, rendered and scored with semi-circular headed sash. Second bay rendered and scored with 2 rendered pilasters, entablature with 3 stone wreaths, niche below with cast of caryatid; third bay with pairs of rendered pilasters flanking French windows as to south facade. Range to right with wing of 1951 attached to ground floor; first floor with stone shield of Gurney impaling Barclay; parapet of vase balusters. Entrance facade to north: 3 bays, 2 storeys with single-storeyed range to front incorporating entrance portico; flag turret to centre with Gurney arms and vase balustrade. Portico range with rendered pilasters as to south; central bay with pairs of pilasters flanking internal porch; semi-circular headed doorway with fanlight, double leaved oak doors. Pilasters to first and third bays, entablature with frieze of triglyphs and guttae to centre bay; 3 wreaths above as to right return; large casement windows to bays 1 and 3. Interior: open well staircase part lost, open string upper flight and landing with carved wood balusters and mahogany rail, ceiling rose above. 2 fluted Corinthian columns in wood to hall inside north doorway. Ground floor rooms to south with decorative plaster frieze and cornice, gilded carved pelmets. Plaster geometric ceiling to central ground floor room to east. First floor rooms to south with bays pushed out over former loggia; south-east room with classical fireplace carved with festoons and having egg and dart cornice; dogleg stair- case to second floor with ramped handrail, turned balusters, circular light over stairwell. Semi-circular fronted wing to west with decorated plaster frieze and central rose to each floor; ground floor with square yellow scagliola pilasters.
Listing NGR: TG2080904160
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 226953
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing