2 SPURWAY MEMORIALS AND RAILINGS ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1306349
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
2 SPURWAY MEMORIALS AND RAILINGS ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of 2 SPURWAY MEMORIALS AND RAILINGS ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306349 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 10:19:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
2 SPURWAY MEMORIALS AND RAILINGS ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Oakford
National Grid Reference:
SS 91036 21290

Details

SS 92 SW OAKFORD OAKFORD

5/147 - 2 Spurway memorials and railings about 10 metres north west of the tower of the Church of St Peter GV II

2 memorial crosses and enclosing railings. Late C19/early C20. Iron railings, one white marble cross, one pink granite cross. The northern cross is white marble, commemorating Major General John Spurway, died 1903, ceremonial sword and medals carved in relief on the base. The southern cross is pink granite and commemorates John Spurway, died 1874. The 2 crosses are enclosed by a single twisted rail supported on iron corner standards with cross finials and stone bases. The Spurway family have been associated with Oakford parish and a manorial title in the parish for more than 700 years (Bentley).

Bentley, E.W. Oakford (1982), p. 36.

Listing NGR: SS9103621290

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
96794
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bentley, E W, Oakford, (1982), 36

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09280/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin Downes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].