28-40, CHURCH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1306450
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1950
Statutory Address:
28-40, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 28-40, CHURCH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306450 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 05:42:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
28-40, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Braintree (District Authority)
Parish:
Witham
National Grid Reference:
TL 81779 15376

Details

1. 1841 CHURCH STREET (East Side) Nos 28 to 40 (even) TL 8115 3/9 1.3.50.

II GV

2. A range of 7 timber framed and plastered houses built by James Beadle in 1714. An oval plaster panel on the front bears the date 1714 and the initials T W S N and at one time ER and WS (now worn away). 2 storeys and attics. 8 window range, casements with glazing bars. Roofs tiled, with 4 gabled dormers, mostly with lattice leaded lights. The building has been reconditioned in the C20. RCHM (4). Built as a workhouse.

Nos 22 to 40 (even) form a group. Also Nos 22 to 40 (even) form a group with Nos 42 to 48 (even) Nos 1 and 3, No 7 (Woolpack Inn) and No 18 and Smithy, Nos 20 to 30 (even), the Parish Church of St Nicholas and the Vicarage, Chippinghill.

Listing NGR: TL8177915376

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
113502
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/10144/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M W Keogh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].