Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1306460

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1958



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306460 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 05:07:12.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland (District Authority)

Parish: Quidenham

National Grid Reference: TM 03104 89901


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TM 08 NW QUIDENHAM Church Road, Wilby

7/141 Church of All Saints 16.7.58


Parish church. Mid C14 and C15. Flint with ashlar quoins and plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage tower, diagonal buttresses to west, flat to east but all with flushwork. 3-light west window with mouchette tracery and lower portion blocked in 1630's. String courses divide stages. Circular ringing chamber lights with quatrefoils and 2-light louvred belfry windows with single reticulation unit. Crenellated parapet. C15 gabled south porch, the arch roll and wave moulded with fleurons below brick relieving arch and statutory niche. Coped parapet. 2-light side windows under square brick hoods. Porch roof on arched braces, moulded purlins and ridge piece. Inner south door of 2 orders of sunk quadrants and hood on head stops. 2 flat buttresses to nave, one C14 2-light ogeed window with reticulation within larger unit. 3-light 4-centred C15 panel window next east. Raised coping of brick divides nave and chancel. Chancel has flat and diagonal eastern buttresses. 3 2-light cusped Y windows to south, 2 to north. Priest's door south with hood interrupting string course which runs round chancel further punctuated by buttresses. Fine 3-L east window of intersecting type repeating 2 designs of cusped mouchettes and petals. Hollow moulded jambs and hood mould on labels. Blocked circular roof light with quatrefoil in heightened parapet. 2 3-light C15 panel windows to north nave and C14 ogeed north door with 2 orders of wave mouldings. C20 brick buttress at west. Interior. Remarkable for complete survival of furnishings of 1630's following fire of 1633. Gallery screen under tower with 2 doors, dated 1637, and 2 tiers turned balusters. Gallery ceiling of timber with heavily moulded joists framing square central bay containing circular quartered hatch with central boss. Closed string ladder staircase with square newel and domed finial, moulded central baluster, plain, handrail and moulded string, 10 sets of bench pews with fleur-de-lys bench ends and some incised decoration. 4 box pews to east retaining H or H hinges. Panelled triple decker pulpit under tester, the pulpit with scrolled brackets supporting combined cornice and reading desk. Base of screen. Communion rail with turned balusters under moulded top rail with ball finials. Central gate with 2 tiers of similar balusters. Nave roof also 1630's : tie beams with roll mouldings and tongue stops below wall plate; moulded principals not aligned to ties on wall posts and braces; 3 tiers moulded butt purlins and roll moulded arched collars. Square poor box on column dated 1638. Late C14 octagonal font, the bowl decorated with tracery motifs in gables. Chancel arch with continuous lobes to responds and wave moulded arch. Chancel roof of principals on wall posts with arched braces, 2 tiers butt purlins and collars. Cinquefoil piscina. Timber Royal Arms of Charles I over south door. Remains of wall painting of St. Christopher on north nave wall.

Listing NGR: TM0310489901


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 220388

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing