SMITHY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1306501
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
07-Feb-1973
Statutory Address:
18, CHIPPINGHILL
Statutory Address:
SMITHY, CHIPPINGHILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SMITHY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306501 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 02:53:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
18, CHIPPINGHILL
Statutory Address:
SMITHY, CHIPPINGHILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Braintree (District Authority)
Parish:
Witham
National Grid Reference:
TL 81783 15292

Details

1841 CHIPPINGHILL (North Side) No 18 & Smithy TL 8115 3/17 1.3.50. (Formerly listed under Road to Powershall End)

GV II

A C15 5 timber-framed and plastered house with a C17 smithy at the corner of Chipping Hill and Church Street. It is still used as a smithy. The house has cross wings at the north-west and south-east ends. The upper storey is jettied at the south-west end and on the south-east crosswing. It is now cement rendered. The south end is weatherboarded and a weatherboarded wing extends at the rear. 2 storeys. 3 window range on the south-west front, casements with glazing bars. 1 window has old leaded lights. 1 window range at the south-east front, double-hung sash with glazing bars. Roofs tiled, with a C17 central brick chimney stack with 2 diagonally set shafts. RCHM (10)

No 18 and Smithy, Nos 20 to 30 (even), Parish Church of St Nicholas, The Vicarage, No 35 (Barnardiston), Nos 43 to 55 (odd) and No 2 (White Horse Public House)and Nos 4 and 6 Church Street form a group. Also Nos 18 and Smithy, Nos 20 to 30 (even), Parish Church of St Nicholas and the Vicarage form a group with No 7 (Woolpack Inn) and Nos 22 to 48 (even) Church Street.



Listing NGR: TL8178315292

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
113486
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10364/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Hurst. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].