CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1306581

Date first listed: 05-Sep-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306581 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 15:16:34.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Starcross

National Grid Reference: SX 97576 81613

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KENTON CHURCH STREET (south side), SX 9681-9781 Starcross Church of Saint Paul 14/219 5.9.86

GV II

Parish Church. Datestone of 1828. Grey limestone rubble with Bathstone dressings, slate roofs. Plan: 4-bay nave with a west gallery and west end bellcote. Entrances at the west end and on the north side. Original design by Charles Hedgeland, remodelled 1852-54 by David Mackintosh. Initial Greek style design by Charles Hedgeland, 1826 ; substantial remodelling of 1852-54 by David Mackintosh in an unarchaeological Romanesque Revival included a new chancel, south vestry, bell turret, north porch, exposing the timber roof and replacing the sash windows with stone windows Exterior: Gabled chancel with clasping buttresses and 3 round-headed windows with shafts and Romanesque capitals, similar windows to chancel north and south. Small south-east vestry with a pedimented east gable, a round-headed east window and south doorway with a round-headed arch. Nave buttressed on the east wall with angle buttresses at the west one and are buttressed on the north side. 4 round-headed moulded stone windows to the south side, the north side with 3 windows and a shallow gabled north-west porch with a 2-leaf plank and stud door. Buttressed west end slightly broken forward in the centre where a projection with a dentil cornice, set- offs and clasping buttresses rises as a gabled bellcote. Round headed west doorway with shafts, Romanesque capitals and a 2-leaf plank, cover strip and stud door, 1 round-headed window above. Above the dentil cornice a datestone, largely illegible, commemorates the Reverend William Powley, date said to be 1828. The bell hangs in a round-headed arch with shafts and Romanesque captials with a smaller round-headed arch above. Interior: Plastered walls ; round-headed chancel arch with engaged shafts with Romanesque capitals ; west end gallery with simple panelled frontal on partly fluted columns, the gallery screened in below the frontal. 8-bay nave roof with tie beam and queen post trusses on stone corbels with pendants and braces. Collar rafter roof to the chancel with diagonal braces below the collar. 1928 alabaster reredos with a carved panel and symbols of the crucifixion, co-eval marble paving to the sanctuary floor ; timber communion rail of 1905, with round-headed arches. The nave has a late C19 timber drum pulpit with traceried panels, a good 1932 eagle lectern and an odd font with tiny octangonal bowl on a slender stem. Choir stalls and nave benches probably date from Mackintosh's work of the 1850s. 1850s stained glass probably by Beer of Exeter, including the east window and east windows to the nave. Memorials include a marble wall tablet to Richard Eales, died 1852, signed R. Brown, 58 Gt. Russell Street, London, and a coloured marble wall tablet signed Easton, Exeter, to Charles Eales, died 1874. Royal Arms of 1828. In 1829 Starcross was made into an ecclesiastical parish out of parts of the districts of Dawlish and Kenton. Historically interesting for the eclectic 1850s Romanesque work, presumably necessitated by the form of the original Greek design and a sharp contrast with the archaeologically correct Gothic being erected in the Diocese at the same time.

Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.

Listing NGR: SX9757681613

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 85895

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing