CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1306618
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306618 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 12:43:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
East Carleton
National Grid Reference:
TG 17980 02060

Details

TG 10 SE EAST CARLETON

5/20 Church of St. Mary 26.11.59 II*

Parish church, medieval, restored 1881. Uncoursed broken flint and erratics, stone dressings, plain tiles. West tower, nave and chancel in one, north aisle, south porch of c.1918. Unbuttressed tower of 2½ stages: 3-light Perpendicular west window, stone below inscribed PC TW; short stage above string slightly recessed containing some C16 brickwork and small blocked lancets; recessed bell stage of 1895 with embattled parapet, bell openings in C13 style with cusped Y tracery. Short polygonal turret to north-east of galletted flint, upper part with dressings of C16 brick. South facade with 3 buttresses, C19 lancet to centre, light to chancel with C19 trefoil head. East chancel with raised gable and cross, brick tumbling-in to former gable, untraceried 3-light east window of 1882 with large foliage stops to central light. C13 north aisle with parapets of shallow angle and felt roof; 2 lancets, plain chamfered doorway with hood renewed 1881; plain 2-light west window, east window with 3 plain lights, the outer lights having asymmetrical heads. South porch built as memorial to J.H. Steward killed 1915; uncoursed whole flint, gable cross and Steward arms in stone, C14 style arch with sideshafts, left return with single small lancet, right return with two similar lancets. Interior of ashlar, arch braced collar roof. C14 south doorway with continuous moulding, hood mould with king and queen figure stops.

Interior: roof and fittings of 1881. Stoup within south doorway to east. 3 bay nave arcade (western arch narrow) of C14 double chamfered arches on round yellow limestone piers of 1881. Octagonal font with plain shields on C15 octagonal plinth with trefoil headed panels. Tall C15 tower arch in brick with semi-circular jambs, rendered except for quadruple chamfered 4-centred arch. Marble slab with indent for brass to a civilian (1481) in north aisle; marble mural monument of 1722 to north chancel.

Listing NGR: TG1798002060

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226906
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12038/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Withinshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].