HOP GREEN FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1306620

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: HOP GREEN FARMHOUSE, COLNE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOP GREEN FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306620 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 16:18:55.

Location

Statutory Address: HOP GREEN FARMHOUSE, COLNE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Coggeshall

National Grid Reference: TL 85230 25594

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 82 NE COGGESHALL COLNE ROAD (west side)

3/81 Hop Green Farmhouse

- II

House. Early C17, altered in late C18 and early C19, renovated c.1975. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 4 bays facing SW with axial stack in second bay from left end, forming a lobby-entrance. 2 storeys. Service wing of one storey and attics to rear of right end, with internal stack at end (stack rebuilt in C20). Single-storey lean-to extension in rear left angle. Early C19 ancillary range of flint and brick rubble extending to right of main range, one storey, with hipped roof. At each storey, 2 early C19 sash windows of 10+10 lights and one of 8+8 lights (frames renewed c.1975). 6-panel door, top 2 panels glazed, in moulded doorcase. Roof half-hipped at both ends. The parlour (at the left end) has a chamfered binding beam with lamb's tongue stops, a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue and roll stops, and a wide wood-burning hearth with cranked mantel beam with plain stops, and jambs of 0.33 brickwork. The room to right of the stack has a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, and an C18/early C19 pine fire surround (moved from the parlour c.1975). The right end roof is wholly plastered. Early C19 straight stair to rear of middle room, with at the top a turned newel, oval-section hardwood handrail and stick balusters. One jowled post is exposed. Early floorboards on first floor. In upper rooms, 2 early C19 cast iron ducknest grates. The roof has been raised approx. 0.40 metre and the roof rebuilt in the early C19, re-using some smoke-blackened medieval rafters. The rear wing has exposed plain joists of square section jointed to the axial beam with soffit tenons with diminished haunches, and a butt-purlin roof. The Feering tithe award of 1841 shows that this house was then associated with a farm of 87 acres (Essex Record Office D/CT 137). RCHM (Feering) 10 reported that various repairs were dated 1788 and 1807; the dates are not now visible. The owner reports that all groundsills and footings and some parts of the timber frame were renewed c.1975.

Listing NGR: TL8523025594

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116113

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing