THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1306631

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:31:09.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Clayhanger

National Grid Reference: ST 02304 23216

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 02 SW CLAYHANGER CLAYHANGER

7/85 The Old Rectory -

II

Former rectory. Thoroughly rebuilt in 1823 at a cost of £1,000 (White's Devon, 1850) but probably preserving some of the C17 fabric in the rear wing; late C20 renovations. Stone rubble, colourwashed and rendered to the front block; hipped slate roofs; end stacks to main block with brick shafts, similar end stack to wing. Plan: L plan, the front block 2 rooms wide with a central passage containing the stair; rear right service wing containing kitchen at right angles to the main block. Exterior: 2 storeys, the main block with a cellar. Symmetrical 3-bay front with C20 panelled front door in the centre with a fanlight with spoke glazing all within a recessed round-headed arch. Fenestration of 12-pane timber sashes. Single-storey lean-to at left end, C20 conservatory at right end. The rear wing has an attractive symmetrical elevation facing the rear courtyard; central doorway below early C19 2- centred arched stair window with intersecting glazing bars and some stained glass in the margin panes; 12-pane timber sash windows. The wing has been extended to the rear and a bread oven projects into the store-room at the left end. Evidence of blocked windows suggests a pre 1823 core. Interior: Stair with stick balusters and a ramped wreathed handrail; some 1823 joinery. The kitchen fireplace has 2 bread ovens. 1684 copy of 1684 glebe terrier in possession of owner refers to 4 under and 4 upper rooms.

Listing NGR: ST0230423216

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 96730

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing