This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1306637



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Yealmpton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 100487

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SX5751 YEALMPTON FORE STREET 11/208 (south side) 29/3/60 Church of St Bartholomew


Parish church. Rebuilt in 1850 by William Butterfield. Tower of 1915. Coursed stone and ashlar, with freestone dressings. Slate roofs. Decorated style. Comprising:- nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, south porch and later west tower. Decorated windows with rectilinear, intersecting and foiled tracery. Buttreses with set-offs. 1915 west tower in three stages with pinnacles and battlements. The exterior is unremarkable in contrast to the interior where the walls have bands of black marble following the lines of the window arches and arcades. In the chancel diaper pattern and polychromatic friezes. Smaller arch set within the chancel arch with polychromatic diaper pattern. Octagonal arcade piers with bands of a dark and light marble. Aisle walls have inscriptions in circular frames. The chancel roof is boarded and painted and the ribs are supported on corbel heads. The nave and aisle roofs are unceiled wooden barrel vaults and the transepts have scissor braces. Contemporary furnishings including seating, alter rail, tower screen, pulpit and lectern etc and an alabaster screen to choir and an alabaster font. Disused Norman font bowl with low relief wavy lines. Monuments from the old church; Brass to Sir John Crocker in armour 1508. Mary Coppleston 1630 tomb chest with kneeling figures in arched recess. Mural monuments to Bastard family, including:- Thomas Veale Bastard 1732. Edmund and Baldwin Pollexfen 1773. Thomas Veale 1782, a bust. References: Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society (IV) pages 245-9. Paul Thompson, "William Butterfield".

Listing NGR: SX5777651701

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 4, (), 245-9

National Grid Reference: SX 57776 51701


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306637 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 12:28:08.

End of official listing