CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1306674
Date first listed:
05-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306674 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 15:31:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Haddiscoe
National Park:
THE BROADS
National Grid Reference:
TM 43597 98097

Details

HADDISCOE CHURCH ROAD, HADDISCOE TM 49 NW THORPE

7/15 Church of St. Matthias 5.9.60 - I

Parish church. C11 with later additions and fenestration, chancel rebuilt 1838. Flint with limestone dressings; red brick chancel. Thatched nave; slate roofs over chancel and south porch. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch. West tower late C11 with later upper stages. Lower stage has small round-headed lancets with head-corbels above, on north, south and west sides. Restored west window with semi-circular head. At the junction with the nave wall on the north and south sides, a flint pilaster shaft with tapered stone capping and corbel head. Tall, shallow blank arcading to upper stage. C12 bell stage with two-light bell openings: semi-circular roll-moulded arches, shafts with cushion capitals, the central shaft ringed. The openings now reduced by raising the cill in red brickwork. C15 embattled parapet in flint chequerwork. C14 south porch with diagonal gable buttresses; blocked 2- light east and west windows with quatrefoil heads. Doorway with engaged polygonal shafts and capitals, the outer arch with double wave moulding. The south nave wall has two 2-light Perp. windows, the eastern window renewed or much restored. Red brick chancel of 1838 with large staged buttresses and later Gothic Revival windows, the south-east window opening blank. Window openings have rubbed brick arches with keystones. East gable with diagonal buttresses, the gable apex and parapet rendered over. 3-light east window with cusped 'Y' tracery. North wall of chancel blind. North wall of nave has a C13 lancet and a 2-light window with 'Y' tracery. Simple semi-circular headed north doorway blocked in flintwork. Plain south doorway with roll- moulded arch. Interior: nave and chancel roofs renewed, probably C19, with boarded ceilings. Remains of rood stair in north-east corner of nave. South- east nave window set in wide triple-chamfered arch, now partly cut by chancel arch abutment. In the nave west wall, a C13 double arched recess with a shelf in one side. Small blocked circular window with splayed reveal at high level in nave west wall. Monument on north wall of chancel to Thomas London (d.1661), a tablet with architrave and scroll pediment on consoles. Font of Purbeck marble; square bowl with four shallow blind arches on each face, on round stem and four corner shafts, C12.

Listing NGR: TM4359798097

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227017
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12645/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Susan Green. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].