SHELTER WITH MONUMENT TO PROVIDENCE CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1306734
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1989
Statutory Address:
SHELTER WITH MONUMENT TO PROVIDENCE CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHELTER WITH MONUMENT TO PROVIDENCE CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306734 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 17:52:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHELTER WITH MONUMENT TO PROVIDENCE CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Loddiswell
National Grid Reference:
SX 71956 48507

Details

LODDISWELL VILLAGE CENTRE SX 74 NW 5/113 Shelter with monument to Providence Chapel II Lean-to open-fronted shelter with monuments set to walls. Shelter dated 1926, contains mainly early C19 tablets. Rubble and slate roof, monuments mainly slate. An open-fronted 2-bay shelter set against the north wall of the burial ground to the Chapel, demolished in 1926. The back and return walls set with memorial slabs formerly in the chapel or in the burial ground, 17 in all, and some free-standing slabs. Earliest dates from beginning of C19, include George Denner, died 1809, and MAry Gay, 1810, the latter signed W Phillips. Another records Sarah Ann Williams, 1838, aged 6 weeks, and Sarah Jane Williams, 1844, aged 2 years 6 months. One tablet records that Providence Chapel was built by Ye Revd. George Denner, 1808; a smaller tablet below records demolition, and erection of the shelter, 1926.

Listing NGR: SX7195648507

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
99563
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13221/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Mackenzie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].