2 ARSCOTT HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 1.5 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH AISLE CHAPEL OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1306770
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
2 ARSCOTT HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 1.5 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH AISLE CHAPEL OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of 2 ARSCOTT HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 1.5 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH AISLE CHAPEL OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306770 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 16:05:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
2 ARSCOTT HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 1.5 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH AISLE CHAPEL OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Belstone
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX6194093498

Details

SX 69 SW BELSTONE BELSTONE

3/8 2 Arscott headstones approximately 1.5 metres south of south aisle chapel of Church of St Mary GV II

Pair of headstones set back to back; one dated 1711 in memory of John Arscott, the other dated 1746 in memory of Moses Arscott. Both are slate. The oldest faces west is round-headed and stands approximately 600mm high. It has a simple incised border and is inscribed with large Roman serif capitals. It records the death of John Arscott in 1711. The other faces east and stands approximately 900mm high with nowy-shaped head which contains a panel carved with a skull and crossbones flanked by fronds in low relief. The inscription in large Roman serif capitals records the death of Moses Arscott in 1746.

Listing NGR: SX6194093498

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
94804
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12536/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Colin Macpherson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].