ESSEX AND SUFFOLK FIRE OFFICE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1306789

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1971

Statutory Address: ESSEX AND SUFFOLK FIRE OFFICE, 157, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ESSEX AND SUFFOLK FIRE OFFICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306789 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 08:08:19.

Location

Statutory Address: ESSEX AND SUFFOLK FIRE OFFICE, 157, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Colchester (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 99437 25211

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. HIGH STREET 995 (North Side) No 157 (Essex and Suffolk Fire Office) (Formerly listed as Essex and Suffolk TL 9925 SW 4/121 24.2.50. Equitable Insurance Office)

II* GV

2. Fine early C19 neo-classical facade with projecting colonnade. 1820 by David Laing. Built as a Corn Exchange. Originally 2 storeys with central pediment, a 3rd storey was added later. It is now of 3 storeys with central pediment and small open pediments at each end of the front, 9-window range of double hung sashes with glazing bars, the ground floor windows have arched heads. The colonnade has 9 pairs of cast iron Greek Doric columns across the pavement. The arcade behind was enclosed in later C19 and remodelled with plate glass in 1966.

Nos 156 to 158 (consec) and Albert Hall form a group

Listing NGR: TL9943725211

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117031

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing