THE MANOR HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1306870

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1965

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HALL, BIRDSWELL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306870 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 21:37:03.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HALL, BIRDSWELL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Berrynarbor

National Grid Reference: SS 56004 46754

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BERRYNARBOR BIRDSWELL LANE, (east side) SS 54 NE Berrynarbor 1/42 The Manor Hall - 25.2.65 GV II

Former manor house, acquired for parish rooms and hall in 1947. Manor house circa 1480, extended in 1914 with C20 alterations. Original manor wing of ashlar, top courses above string in brick, with ashlar dressings. Slate roof hipped at left end, gable end to right. C20 wing of random stone rubble with gable-ended slate roof. Plan: Manor wing with single large rooms on each floor, formerly heated by demolished stack to centre of rear wall, with C20 staircase at right end and outshut to rear. C20 parish hall at right angles forming overall L-shape replaced the former entrance wing and 2-storey porch in the angle, which were demolished in 1889, the porch and some of the internal fittings being re-erected at Westaways, West Pilton (q.v.). Manor wing 2 storeys. Parish hall, single storey. Manor house wing has 2-window range of 4-centred arched 4-light mullions, cavetto moulded and with Bassett initials to the labels of the continuous hoodmoulds. Left-hand window has small- paned casements. 2 ground floor windows have identical architraves, labelled hoodmoulds and relieving arches, but mullions replaced in C20. The left-hand window had been blocked up and a door inserted, but in mid C20 a new doorway was punched through at the right end and the window reinstated. Above the right hand window is a square stone inset and traces of a similar lozenge to left, which formerly contained coats of arms. To the rear, above the outshut are 2 cavetto mullion windows of three 4-centred arched lights. Single storey parish hall has two 3-light transomed windows flanking porch with gable-ended slate roof. Interior of manor house wing largely altered in C20, but late C15 plain chamfered 4- centred arched doorway survives to rear right-hand wall to ground floor, and a flat- arched stone chimneypiece with ogee-flanking hollow-moulded surround and herringbone slates to the back of the hearth to the upper storey.

Listing NGR: SS5600446754

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 97017

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing