This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1306877

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hockwold cum Wilton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 221767

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 78 NW 16/24

HOCKWOLD CUM WILTON, STATION ROAD

Church of St Peter

08.07.59

G.V.

I

Redundant parish church. Mid C14 south-west tower and nave, nave and south aisle remodelled C15 when chancel constructed. No north aisle. Restored 1857. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.

Two-stage tower, internally of three stages. Stepped angle buttresses on moulded plinth course. 2-light reticulated west window. C19 rounded lancets to ringing chamber. String course below 2-light reticulated belfry windows. Plain parapet. Two 2-light reticulated aisle windows and one 3-light Perpendicular window, the latter under 4-centred arch. Flat buttresses, diagonal to east. 3-light intersecting and ogeed east aisle window. Gabled south porch with depressed stilted arch illuminated through square-headed 2-light side windows. Nave clerestory of four 3-light windows with supermullions rising to 4-centred arches. Chancel south wall pierced by two C19 2-light Perpendicular windows and depressed arched priest's door. One flat buttress. Diagonal east buttresses on flushwork plinth. 3-light Perpendicular east window below quatrefoil oculus. North chancel windows as south. North nave wall supported by heavy stepped flint buttress at east and two sloping C19 buttresses to west. Angle buttresses at west corner. Two 2-light square windows and one 3-light transomed early Perpendicular window. Nave west window of three lights with double intersecting ogees enclosing cusped vesica of c.1340.

INTERIOR: 4-bay south arcade of octagonal piers with moulded polygonal bases and capitals. Double chamfered arches. South clerestory windows over apexes. Nave roof of alternating tie beams and false hammer beams, the ties on punched arched braces and carrying queen posts and subsidiary struts. Hammer beams in form of carved figures of angels supported on arched braces from which spring pierced arched braces to moulded ridge piece. One tier moulded butt purlins and moulded principals. Tower arch to south aisle with octagonal responds set on fluted plinths. Arched entrance to tower stairs with double continuous wave mouldings and hoodmould on labels. East end of south aisle has bench sedilia and cinquefoiled ogee piscina. Plain octagonal font. Over north door wall painting with flowers. C19 chancel roof and ogeed sedilia and piscina, almost entirely C19.

MONUMENTS: To left of chancel east window wall monument to Jermyn Wyche and Maria Hungerford 1719 by Robert Singleton of Bury St. Edmunds. Marble. Two busts stand on gadrooned plinth before still life of putti with muscial instruments. This framed by two composite columns. Beyond these to right and left two cherubs stand on plinth before composite pilasters. Inscription in apron below busts. To left of east window wall monument to Cyril Wyche 1780 by John Ivory and J. de Carle. Marble. Moulded plinth supported on reeded consoles with palmettes. Inscription panel between consoles. On plinth is figure of weeping winged cherub by broken column and fallen torch. Black marble background.

Listing NGR: TL7249188015

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 72491 88015

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306877 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 09:00:42.

End of official listing