This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1306957

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CONGHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hillington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 222135

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HILLINGTON CONGHAM ROAD TF 72 NW (east side) 3/25 Church of St. Mary 15.8.60 II* Parish church C15 and 1824, uncoursed flint with some Sandringham sandstone and carstone, stone dressings, pantiles. West tower, nave incorporating former south aisle, chancel, north chapel to chancel. 3-stage tower c1434, diagonal buttresses with flushwork, brick embattled parapet; C19 west doorway with 4-centred arch, Gothick panelled door; C19 3-light west window with Decorated tracery; narrow stair turret to north; 2nd stage with small cusp headed single lights; bell openings of 3 lights with panel tracery, a mullion lost to west and north, openings filled with honeycombed brick. Nave of 1824, north and south alike. Dentil cornice, 3 openings with brick in cast surrounds, 3-lights with panel tracery, all in cast iron; large blocks of carstone and Sandringham sandstone to base of south aisle. Chancel restored 1892: mainly of Sandringham sandstone, plain tiles, diagonal buttresses, blocked doorways to north and south with buttress and 2 C19 2-light openings with panel tracery; 5-light C19 east window with panel tracery, string course below and pointed stone niche. C19 chapel to north of chancel in broken flint with moulded brick cornice, plain tiles, angle buttresses, gable parapets and cross, large north 3-light window with decorated tracery. Interior: nave and south aisle now one, coved ceiling, polygonal respond of former arcade to west, chancel arch of 1892 rising from stiff leaf corbels, chancel roof arch braced with wind braces, Tudor flower frieze and angel corbels. Tall tower arch C15, with polygonal shafts supporting chamfered mouldings, continuous hollow chamfers, outer slender round shafts; tower stair door ledged and battened, C15 arch head renewed. Octagonal C15 font beneath chancel arch, (from church of St. Mary, Islington, Norfolk TF 5716) alternate blank arcade and shields to faces, oak panelled pulpit with arch curved hand rail, perhaps part of 3 decker pulpit; North chapel with C19 hammer beam roof; Organ of 1756 by J. Snetzler, panelled mahogany case with classical ornamental beading and Rococo gilded woodwork decoration, colours of keys reversed. Monuments: 3 C18 marble altar tombs in north chapel to members of ffolkes family; north chancel mural monument, 1611, to Richard Hovel and wife, son Richard (died 1653) and wife, of alabaster with Renaissance arches and two pairs of figures each facing each other across faldstools; 11 Tournai marble ledger slabs to chancel, some heraldic; pair of large mural marble tablets in south chancel to Mary Browne 1699-1763 with fluted Ionic pilasters and segmental head, to Sir Wm. Browne with plain open pilasters open pediment and relief rondal of Sir Wm., both inscribed "Sir WB Archit". C17 wooden cupboard to north-west nave, 3 open panels each of 3 rows of turned bars. Mural marble monument in south nave, 1826, signed H. Hopper, to Lady Lucretia Georgiana Browne West depicted as life size figure holding her posthumous son, she died in Bombay shortly after her son who died at birth.

Listing NGR: TF7231825221

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 72318 25221

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306957 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 08:11:14.

End of official listing