This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER STABLE AT TUCKETT'S FARM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER STABLE AT TUCKETT'S FARM

List entry Number: 1307006

Location

FORMER STABLE AT TUCKETT'S FARM

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Haccombe with Combe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 85793

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HACCOMBE-WITH-COMBE LOWER NETHERTON SX 89 71

15/128 Former stable at Tuckett's Farm (formerly listed as Farm buildings at 23.8.55 Tuckers Farm including stone basin (part of horse cider press) but GV excluding farmhouse)

II*

Stable. Probably C18. Whitewashed plastered cob on stone rubble footings ; thatched roof with plain ridge, hipped at left end and carried down as a catslide over a cartshed at the right end. Plan: Rectangular on plan, the ground floor divided up for loose boxes, the loft over adapted as a children's playroom in circa 1900. It is not clear whether the building was originally built as a stable. The lean-to cartshed is a later addition. Exterior: Single-storey with loft. The south elevation has a loft loading door in the centre, a blocked window on the ground floor in the centre with a timber lintel, a slit window in the cob to the left and a slit window with a timber lintel to the right. The cartshed has large double doors of rough planks with strap hinges. The north elevation is partly obscured by ivy but has a loft loading door, a window to the left and a small window to left of centre with evidence of a large blocked doorway. Interior: The ground floor is cobbled with a drain and fitted up with loose boxes complete with timber troughs and hay racks. The loft, with pegged collar rafter roof trusses was adapted as a childrens playroom circa 1900 and is unaltered since then. It preserves several simple, ingenious devices forming a route followed by the children through the loft : a notched post to climb up to the roof-trusses, on old canvas hammock slung between 2 trusses and finally a cider barrel with the ends knocked out, suspended as a chute through which the children dropped on to bales of hay. Starred as part of a remarkable group of Vernacular Revival and traditional thatched buildings at Tuckett's Farm.

Listing NGR: SX8904471795

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 89044 71795

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307006 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 10:14:05.

End of official listing