BOVILL'S HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307139
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1987
Statutory Address:
BOVILL'S HALL, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOVILL'S HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307139 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 05:19:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOVILL'S HALL, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Tendring (District Authority)
Parish:
Ardleigh
National Grid Reference:
TM0539328802

Details

TM 02 NE 6/52

ARDLEIGH STATION ROAD Bovill's Hall

II

House. C15 or earlier origin with C18 and C19 alterations and extensions. The original build timber framed, painted brick faced. Hipped grey slate roofs. 2 rear chimney stacks to front range. C18/C19 rear ranges of similar materials. 2 storeys and cellars. Of 3 bays with end and 2 central pilasters. 3 first floor round headed double casements in square surrounds with shutters, similar windows to returns. Ground floor. Right and left French windows, gauged brick arches and shutters. Angled bay with glazed margins to left return. Central moulded flat canopy supported by circular columns, moulded capitals. Moulded surround, brackets, moulded dentilled cornice, panelled door with round headed double lights. Interior features include exposed timber studs to left front room, chamfered bridging joist and flat section ceiling beams. C19 panelled rear room with moulded cornice. 6 panelled doors with moulded surrounds. Rear dairy with flagstone floor, vertically boarded doors and chamfered bridging joists, servants stairs from this room. Large cellars, brick pier supports. One of the 4 manors of Ardleigh. Sandford Lambe was Lord of the Manor in 1796. F.H. Erith "Ardleigh in 1796", 1978. RCHM 8.

Listing NGR: TM0539328802

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
120397
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)
Erith, F H, Ardleigh in 1796, (1978)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07563/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kelvin Cuffy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].