This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HOLCOMBE ROGUS SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOLCOMBE ROGUS SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1307184

Location

HOLCOMBE ROGUS SCHOOL, FORE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Holcombe Rogus

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 95957

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOLCOME ROGUS FORE STREET, Holcombe Rogus ST 01 NE 5/109 - Holcombe Rogus School GV II School, formerly Webbers Charity School. Dated 1849, 1950 and 1962 extensions. Grey-coloured local chert rubble laid to rough courses; Bathstone detail; slate roof. Plan: school. The main block is set back on a terrace above the street and faces south. There are 2 main classrooms the right (east) one larger than the left and there is an entrance between. A 1-room plan crosswing projects forward at right angles from the right (east) end and only overlaps the main block on the front corner. These are single storey blocks and there are C20 blocks to rear and to west. The original school is built in a restrained Tudor style. Exterior: the main block has a 3-window front of large 3-light stone mullion-and- transom windows and there are similar in each gable end wall. There is a doorway left of centre on the front; a 2-centred arch containing a plank door. This block is gable-ended with shaped kneelers and coping. The left (west) gable is surmounted by an ashlar gabled bellcote which was restored to working order in 1982. The front gable end of the crosswing has diagonal buttresses, a 3-light stone-mullioned window, above which is a carved stone scroll proud of the wall face, and inscribed Holcombe Rogus Charity School, 1849. This gable too has-shaped kneelers and coping. Interior: was not inspected but it seems that the original C19 structure survives as superficially modernised in the C20. This school, endowed-by a Mrs Webber of Bampton in 1823, is an important group component in the centre of the village. Source: Andrew Gabriel and Barbara Fletcher. A Short History of Holcombe Rogus (1986) p. 25.

Listing NGR: ST0582318921

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gabriel, A, Fletcher, B, A Short History of Holcombe Rogus, (1986), 25

National Grid Reference: ST 05824 18918

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307184 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 10:09:55.

End of official listing