Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307264.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 01:39:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Melton (District Authority)
Twyford and Thorpe
National Grid Reference:
SK 72992 10094



Twyford (north side) 9/145 Church of St. Andrew 1.1.68 I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Chancel rebuilt 1775. Restored, and vestry added, 1849. Organ chamber added 1889. Porch rebuilt 1858 and 1980. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate and copper roofs. Ashlar quoins. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle, vestry and organ chamber, chancel, south porch. West tower, C14 and C15, 3 stages, has moulded plinth, 2 chamfered string courses, shield frieze, coved eaves, 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 4 pinnacles. 4 shallow clasping buttresses, that to south west with 2 small niches and figurative panel with crest. First stage has to west a cusped double lancet with hood mould and mask stops. Second stage has to south, a clock. Bell stage has on each side a cusped double lancet bell opening with coved reveal, hood mould and mask stops. Nave, 3 bays, has chamfered sill band and crenellated parapet and gable with cross. South side has 3 buttresses with 3 setoffs and 3 full height Perpendicular triple lancets with transoms, foiled heads, hood moulds and mask stops. North side has clerestory with plain parapet, and to east, 2 squat C15 double lancets with 4 centred arched heads, hood moulds and mask stops. North aisle, 3 bays, has 3 buttresses and to west, an angle buttress. Coved eaves. Central cove moulded C13 doorway with hood mould, flanked to east by a C15 graduated cusped triple lancet, and to west by a similar double lancet, both with hood moulds and mask stops. Vestry and organ chamber has to north, a gable with 3 buttresses and 3 chamfered single lancets. East side has an angle buttress and a re-set C15 cusped double lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. Unbuttressed chancel, single bay, has coped east gable and blank sides. East end has a Decorated triple lancet with hood mould, and above it a datestone inscribed '1775'. Unbuttressed south porch has chamfered plinth and re-set double chamfered C14 doorway with responds and hood mould. In each side, a Geometrical double lancet, C19. Porch interior has stone benches and common rafter roof. Moulded C13 south doorway with impost band and C19 door. Interior has double chamfered and rebated tower arch, C13, with shafts and moulded capitals, with crested Perpendicular style glazed screen, 1958. Nave arcade, late C12, 4 bays, attributed to the masons of Oakham Castle Hall. Round piers, the central one with a Corinthian capital. West respond has a lobed leaf capital, east respond a leaf-crocketed capital with dogtooth ornament. Remaining piers have moulded capitals. Chamfered and rebated round arches with hood moulds. Restored C15 roof with billet moulded tie beams with bosses, arch braces and wall shafts on mask corbels. North aisle east end has a depressed 4 centred arched opening to the organ chamber. Restored C15 roof with moulded tie beams, double arch braces and mask corbels. Vestry has a stained glass window, 1889. Chancel has C13 chamfered and rebated arch, restored, with a keeled north respond on an octagonal corbel. North side has a C19 round headed opening to the organ chamber and vestry. East end has a panelled wooden dado and reredos c.1891, and a stained glass window, 1960. Low pitched plain roof. Fittings include square font, C13, with dogtooth ornament on 3 corners and a lobed leaf on the fourth. East side has a foliated cross in a ring. Furnishings of 1849 include octagonal oak pulpit, lectern, stalls with poppyheads, plain benches and prayer desk. 2 late C17 curved chairs. 2 double donations boards, 1824. Monuments include 3 re-set C18 tablets to the Ashby family.

Listing NGR: SK7299210094


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/11664/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Arnold. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].