CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC, LITTLE COWARNE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307315

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC, LITTLE COWARNE, HR7 4RH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC, LITTLE COWARNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307315 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 06:11:30.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC, LITTLE COWARNE, HR7 4RH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Little Cowarne

National Grid Reference: SO 60121 51124

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1133/12/258 LITTLE COWARNE CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC

(Formerly listed as Parish Church (Dedication unknown), Little Marcle)

09-JUN-67

II Small rural Anglican church. C12/C13 in origin but heavily restored in 1870 by F.R Kempson; west tower and south porch of 1911. Rubble masonry to the chancel, the nave and tower squared rubble brought to course; freestone dressings; slate roofs. Plan of nave, chancel, west tower and southwest porch.

EXTERIOR: Unbuttressed chancel with three-light C19 plate-traceried east window. The north wall has one round-headed C12 window, said to be re-set. The south wall has a window of two uncusped lights. Unbuttressed nave, the north side with a blocked arched doorway and two probably C19 round-headed windows. The south side of the nave has a two-light window with trefoil-headed lights. Gabled south porch with a double-chamfered outer doorway and a plain arched inner doorway.

INTERIOR: Internal walls plastered and painted. C19 chamfered chancel arch on moulded stone corbels. C19 common rafter scissor-braced chancel roof with ashlar pieces and a wallplate with toothed decoration, pierced with stars and trefoils, with diagonal boarding behind the timbers. Similar nave roof with the addition of a low collar. Tall, thin, chamfered tower arch. The chancel has a plain piscina and aumbry and is floored with C19 encaustic tiles. Stout rustic choir stalls with poppyhead ends. Substantial polygonal stone pulpit on a square base, the sides carved with symbols under trefoil-headed arches. The font has a deep plain bowl on a square circular stem with a moulded foot. It appears to be C19, but the circular base is probably medieval. C19 benches with three different designs to the ends, but all with prominent tusk tenon fixings, used as decoration. C19 glass includes grisaille and a figure in the west window.

Grade II for a modestly-scaled church of medieval origins but very heavily-restored in 1870. The fittings are not outstanding

Listing NGR: SO6012151124

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 151238

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 57

End of official listing