CASTLE, REMAINS OF

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307325

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: CASTLE, REMAINS OF, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CASTLE, REMAINS OF
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307325 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 08:38:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CASTLE, REMAINS OF, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ruyton-XI-Towns

National Grid Reference: SJ3945322154

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P. CHURCH STREET (north SJ 32 SE side) 8/142 Castle , remains of - [formerly listed as The Castle (remains) (in 19.1.52 Church yard)]

GV II

Castle, remains of. Early C14 for Edmund, Earl of Arundel on site of castle destroyed c.1212. Sandstone rubble masonry with facing removed. Fragmentary remains of 3 walls of small square keep on slightly raised platform; footings of another wall projecting at right-angles to north from north-west corner. Walls stand to a maximum of 10m high and north and south sections have rectangular inward-sloping openings of indeterminate date. Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No. 71. B.o.E. p. 238; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), pp. 823, 824-5.

Listing NGR: SJ3945322154

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 256694

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 823-825
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 238

End of official listing