CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307340 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 04:16:37.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Melton (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 75745 10789
SK 7410 - 7510 SOMERBY MAIN STREET
Burrough on the Hill (north west side) 18/125 Church of St. Mary The Virgin 1.1.68 G.V. II*
Parish church. C13, C14. Tower restored 1629. Chancel rebuilt by H. Goddard and Son, 1867. Tower, north aisle and part of south aisle rebuilt by C. Kirk, 1878. Interior restored by H. Goddard, 1860. Coursed and squared ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings and lead roofs. West tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has to west 2 pairs of angle buttresses with setoffs. Chamfered plinth, 3 chamfered string courses, moulded eaves cornice with masks and a gargoyle, openwork parapet with ballflower decoration. First stage has to west, a C13 lancet. Second stage has to south a similar lancet with hood mould. Bell stage has to south west, a datestone inscribed 'TB 1629'. North and east sides have clock dials inscribed in memory of G. A. and W. C. Burnaby, 1878. North and west sides have a double lancet bell opening with central shaft and hood mould. Set back octagonal spire has a single low tier of large gabled lucarnes with crosses and double lancet openings. Clerestory has on each side 3 untraceried single lancets with double chamfered openings. Coped east gable with angel kneelers and cross. North aisle, 4 bays, has diagonal east buttress, west angle buttress, and 3 intermediate buttresses. North side has a slightly off-centre chamfered doorway with hood mould, flanked by single untraceried double lancets with hood moulds. Beyond, to west, a chamfered C19 doorway with hood mould. West end has an untraceried double lancet with flat head. East end has a double lancet with Y tracery and hood mould. Chancel, 2 bays, has deep moulded and chamfered plinth and coved eaves with masks. North side has a Decorated double lancet with hood mould, flanked to right by a C13 chamfered low side lancet. East end has 2 angle buttresses, sill band and coped gable. Decorated triple lancet with hood mould. South side has to west, a restored small round headed lancet, flanked to east by a Decorated double lancet with hood mould. 3 bay south aisle has chamfered plinth and 2 diagonal gabled buttresses. South side has to east of porch, an untraceried ogee triple lancet, and to west of porch a similar C19 double lancet, both with flat heads and hood moulds. East end has a round headed triple lancet with flat head and hood mould. West end has a restored Decorated ogee double lancet with hood mould. South porch, C14, has coped gable with finial and heavily moulded ogee doorway with multiple octagonal responds and a pair of wooden gates. Interior has traceried panelled war memorial benches, 1919, and common rafter roof. C13 south doorway, double rebated and moulded, has hood mould and double octagonal shafts. Interior has C13 double chamfered and rebated tower arch with moulded octagonal responds. Tower chamber has C19 stained glass west window. North and south arcades, C13, 3 bays, have round piers and responds with round bases and capitals and double chamfered and rebated arches, with hood moulds, mask stops and crests. Low pitched roof with moulded ridge inscribed '1651 RP JA GW 1657'. Moulded arch braces with bosses, on large mask corbels. North aisle has eastern window with stained glass, 1908, and east window with stained glass, 1886. C19 roof with arch braces. South aisle east end has stained glass window, late C19, by O'Connor. South side has to east, C13 cusped piscina. Eastern window has stained glass, 1906. Western window has stained glass, late C19. West end window has stained glass, 1905. Roof has arch braces and wall shafts on wooden corbels. Chancel has double chamfered and rebated arch with octagonal responds, hood mould and mask stops, C13, and sill band. North side has 2 late C19 stained glass windows. East end has C20 panelled wooden reredos and east window with shafts and hood mould and stained glass by O'Connor, 1867. South side has 2 stained glass windows, 1872 and 1883. Fittings include font, C13, with clustered stem with 10 shafts with dogtooth between them, and tapered round bowl with blind arcading, masks and stiff leaf decoration, and vine trail frieze. Fittings of 1860 include plain pine benches, traceried octagonal oak pulpit and matching prayer desk. C19 brass and iron lectern. Gothic organ case, 1908. Memorials include a chest tomb mid C15, to William and Margaret de Stockden, now divided into 2 pieces. To north, chest with shields and large male effigy. To south, chest with fleurons and large female effigy. Scrolled Classical marble tablet with a winged skull to the Cheseldyn family, 1691. Classical marble tablet, 1814. Slate tablets, 1755 and 1867. 2 C19 brasses. 3 C20 brasses to the Peake family, 2 of them with medals. Brass, 1917.
Listing NGR: SK7574510789
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/67579
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.