This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WHITE HOUSE SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WHITE HOUSE SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1307362

Location

WHITE HOUSE SCHOOL, 33, CLAYPIT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Whitchurch Urban

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-May-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260601

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. CLAYPIT STREET (south-east SJ 5441 side) 8/47 No. 33 (White House School) 1.5.51 (Formerly listed as The - White House) II

House, now school. Early C18, remodelled and enlarged in the arly C19. Red brick, rendered and painted to front. C20 concrete- tile roof with slate roofs to wings. Centre block of 3 storeys and gable-lit attic with slightly set-back early C19 two-storey wings. Centre block with moulded plinth, banded rustication, plat band, panelled end pilaster strips, moulded stone cornice to centre bay, and boxed gutter. Integral brick end stack to left. 1:1:1 bays with central break; first-floor glazing bar sashes and ground- floor wooden cross windows, with stone cills and rusticated voussoirs. Left-hand first-floor window, lower than the rest. Central C20 door with rectangular overlight. Rendered porch with paired pilaster strips supporting frieze and triangular pedimented gable. 4 steps up to door. Right-hand wing with integral brick end stack, first-floor wooden cross window with painted cill and half-glazed 4-panelled door with rectangular overlight. Left-hand wing with first-floor segmental-headed tripartite sash. Rear: centre block with dentil brick eaves cornice and wing with dormer and integral brick end stack. Wings with toothed-brick eaves cornices. Interior: single flight staircase of c.1710-20 to left of entrance, with closed string, balusters consisting of fluted columns on acanthus-wreathed vases, ramped moulded handrail with curved knees, fluted column-on-vase newel posts with octagonal bases and caps, and dado rail; landing balustrade returning on 2 sides. Left-hand ground-floor room, rear corridor and landing with moulded plaster cornices. C18 doors with 6 raised and fielded panels and moulded architraves.

Listing NGR: SJ5427741776

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 54277 41776

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307362 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 04:11:43.

End of official listing