CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1307395
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307395 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 21:20:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Oake
National Grid Reference:
ST 15255 25179

Details

OAKE CP ST12NE OAKE VILLAGE Church of St Bartholonew 2/81 25.1.56 II* GV Parish church. C13-C14, C15 2-storey porch became base of tower, upper stage added, cl535 6-light window inserted in nave, porch said to be dated 1601, church reseated 1840, chancel roof rebuilt 1850, restored 1875 and 1911 when base oftower became vestry. Red sandstone random rubble, red sandstone dressings, Ham stone for imported window and C19 alterations, slate roofs, coped verges. Chancel, south-east chapel, south tower with vestry, south-west porch, 2-bay nave. Crenellated 2-stage tower, 2-light trefoil headed louvred bell-opening, 2-light window above pointed arch opening blocked with inserted 4-centred arch doorway with 2 small glazed openings above, abutting right two 2-light windows,3-light east end, moulded 4-centred arch priest's door, 2-light window in south wall of chancel, 3-light east end,2-light north front, buttressed nave, 6-light Perpendicular window said to have come from Taunton Priory after the church was dissolved in 1536 and inserted back to front, 3-light west window, buttressed single storey porch with pierced quatrefoil frieze, Perpendicular moulded arch opening with colonettes, inner doorway Tudor arch head double roll moulded, tower abutting to east. Interior: roughcast, exposed jambs, and section of random rubble wall in south-east corner. Two bay arcade to chapel, octagonal piers with scratch moulded capitals, arches chamfered in 2 orders. C19 barrel vault to nave which according to Kelly's Directory in 1914 contained a fine C14 oak roof above; C19 ceiled barrel vault to chapel, Trefoil headed piscina in chancel, C19 half-glazed double doors to vestry. C17 octagonal wooden pulpit, C19 wooden lectern and pews; circular font on stem and circular base, possibly Saxon. (Photograph in NMR: Pevsner Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST1525525179

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
271031
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08933/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Chester. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].