This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

KNOWLE MANOR FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KNOWLE MANOR FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1307409

Location

KNOWLE MANOR FARMHOUSE, KNOWLE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Knowle St. Giles

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262192

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KNOWLE ST GILES CP KNOWLE LANE (North-west side) ST31SE 1/65 Knowle Manor Farmhouse 4.2.58

- II

Farmhouse. Probably C18. on site of medieval manor, but much modified in C19 and C20. Local stone rubble, some red brick in Flemish bond and some squared flintwork with Ham stone ashlar dressings; plain clay tile roof over stone slate base courses. hipped to south-west, with stepped coped gable to north- east with ball finial; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys with attic, 4 bays. Bay 1 and 2 in brick; with 3-light small-pane casements to all but lower biy 2, which has a 5-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window hith 4-centre-arched liqhts, set under square label. Bay 3 is a gabled projection in squared flintwark, with ball finial to gable, having plinth and cill courses, and a 2-storey 1+5+1 light angled bay window, detailed to match lower bay 2, in wave-mould: recesses, with flat roof over: bay 4 has a C20 copy of the lover bay 2 window, and a 4-light casement above is a brick surround: between bays 1/2 a boarded door under a concrete lintel and left of bay 4, in the angle, another boarded door set into a stone and tiled lean-to porch. A C20 timber and glass conservatory added to south-west gable. Top of bay 3 gable and the north-east gable rebuilt in brick. A Cl8 extension to rear, set lower. Interior not seen, but reported to be much altered. Earlier known as Illeigh Farm, it was in ancient manor whose house was first recorded in 1303. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV 1978, pl59).

Listing NGR: ST3391311200

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 159

National Grid Reference: ST 33913 11200

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307409 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 01:59:46.

End of official listing