THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307424

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307424 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 11:28:38.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Somerton

National Grid Reference: ST 49008 28545

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST49NW SOMERTON CP MARKET PLACE (West side)

9/186 The Manor House (formerly listed as House adjoining The Manor House to north) 17.4.59

GV II

House, semi-detached. C17 with modifications. Local lias stone cut and squared with Ham stone dressings: clay pantiled roof with abutment to south and coped gable to north; stone end chimney stacks. Two storeys, 3 bays. Hollow chamfer mullioned windows with square labels and leaded panes, of 4 lights to all but lower bay 3 which is 5 light; C20 doorway apparently cut into former window bay 2, preserving right hand light only. Interior not seen, but VCH states that ground floor contains the original hall of a mid C17 house, divided by later partition, with parlour to north, with moulded stone fireplaces, also several stone doorways with moulded arches and jambs; former stair turret projecting at rear; extensive cellars; a first floor room has an enriched plaster ceiling of early style, and above the fireplace an overmantel with arms of the Doddington family. House thought to be that built by Sir John Strangways, died 1666, who purchased Somerton St Cleers Manor 1638; later became part of an earlier White Hart Inn, then a shop. (VCH, Volume III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4901028556

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262992

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

End of official listing