Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307449.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2021 at 18:31:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Moreton Say
National Grid Reference:
SJ 64458 35719



5/119 Styche Hall 10.2.59 GV II

Small country house, now divided into flats. 1762-6, by Sir William Chambers for the 1st Lord Clive and bays added and other alterations by Joseph Bromfield of Shrewsbury in 1796-8 for the Hon. Robert Clive. Further alterations of c. 1900. Painted brick with hipped plain tile roof. Square plan. 3 storeys over basement. South-west (garden) front: rendered chamfered plinth, stone string course between first and second floors, coved stone cornice and blocking course. Rendered brick ridge stacks off-centre to left and right. 3:2:3 bays with shallow recessed centre and pair of later full-height canted bays; glazing bar sashes with stone cills. Large semi-circular relieving arch over central segmental-headed first-floor window with architrave,and cut down c.1900 with small balcony. Ground-floor windows and first-floor windows in bays have been altered c.1900 with round-arched lights in the lower sashes, (giving the impression that the upper and lower sashes of the windows have been exchanged). 3 stone steps up to central c.1900 small-paned half-glazed door with bolection-moulded lower panel, moulded architrave and panel above. Porch of c.1900 or later consisting of pair of doors with 3 raised and fielded panels, architrave with cable moulding and doorcase consisting of Corinthian pilasters supporting entablature and triangular-pedimented gable. Recessed corners with cable moulding, and side windows. Panelled soffit. Right-hand return front: 6 bays; glazing bar sashes (ground-floor sashes with c.1900 alteration as front). Left-hand return front: 2:2:2 bays with recessed centre; glazing bar sashes, some painted in imitation. Rear of 2:3:2 bays with central break. Interior: Circa 1762-6 with alterations of c.1796-8 and c.1900. Entrance hall: moulded dado rail and cornice. 6 panelled side doors, each with lugged architrave, frieze and modillion cornice. Pair of c.1900 small-paned glazed doors in rear wall with radial fanlight and moulded architrave. Windows with plain scrolled architraves. Right- hand ground-floor (drawing) room: plain dado with moulded base, and rail. Rich modillion cornice to elaborate c.1900 elaborate panelled enriched plaster ceiling. 3 six-panelled doors with egg and dart enrichment, and each has lugged architrave with egg and dart enrichment, frieze with scrolled ornament and modillion cornice. Circa 1762 fireplace has marble surround with egg and dart enrichment, fluted tapered pilasters, plain frieze, and cornice with bead and reel and egg and dart enrichment. Panelled window shutters with egg and dart enrichment and architraves with scrolled shoulders. Left-hand ground-floor (dining) room: dado with moulded base and rail with egg and dart enrichment. Rich modillion cornice and c.1900 elaborate enriched plaster ceiling with central oval panel, vine trails, scrolled ornament etc. 6-panelled doors, each with egg and dart enrichment, lugged architrave, frieze with scrolled ornament and cornucopia, and rich moulded cornice. Fireplace has marble surround with staff moulding, tall scrolled brackets with shells at feet, amphorae, daggers, sword and torch in frieze, and cornice with beed and reel and egg and dart enrichment. Panelled window shutters with egg and dart enrichment and architraves with scrolled shoulders . Staircase hall behind entrance hall: c.1796-8. Three-flight staircase rising 2 storeys with landings, open string, moulded nosings, stick balusters with single flute (2 per tread), moulded handrail and wreathed foot newel with slim columnular newel post. Moulded cornice with mutules. Oval toplight. Oak back staircase of c.1762-6 dog-leg with closed string, turned balusters, columular newel posts and ramped handrail. Left-hand first-floor front room: carved dado rail and architraves.Enriched plaster frieze. Fireplace with marble inner surround, lugged architrave,carved scrolls to frieze and carved cornice. Styche was the family home of the Clive family. Lord Clive was born in the old timber framed house house in 1725 and employed Chambers to rebuilt it in 1762-6. It is possible that the second floor was added in 1796-8, at the same time as the bays. B.o.E., p.229; Colvin, pp.142 and 207; H.E. Forrest, Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, pp.55-7.

Listing NGR: SJ6445835719


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 142, 207
Forrest, H E , Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), 55-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 229


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01797/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Deakin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].