CHURTON MEMORIAL DRINKING FOUNTAIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307452
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURTON MEMORIAL DRINKING FOUNTAIN, BROWNLOW STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURTON MEMORIAL DRINKING FOUNTAIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307452 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 01:46:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURTON MEMORIAL DRINKING FOUNTAIN, BROWNLOW STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whitchurch Urban
National Grid Reference:
SJ 54509 41566

Details

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. BROWNLOW STREET (west SJ 5441 SJ 54508 41565 side) 8/39 Churton Memorial - Drinking Fountain GV II

Drinking fountain, Dated 1882. Banded pink and grey granite base and banded red and grey sandstone ashlar upper parts. Octagonal plan. In a Gothic Revival style. Base with moulded stone cornice, steps up to chamfered- arched recess to front and back with copper lion-mask spouts and semi-circular bowls, and former semi-circular animal troughs to each side (flower beds at time of survey - November 1986). Inscription around top: "EVERY : ONE : THAT : DRINKETH / OF : THIS : WATER / SHALL THIRST : AGAIN / BUT : WHOSOEVER / DRINKETH : OF : THE : WATER : THAT / I : SHALL : GIVE : HIM / SHALL : NEVER : THIRST / ST JOHN : CHAP 4: VER 13 & 14". Chamfered offset to top part. Moulded arches to front and back, each with 2 cinquefoil- headed lights (but no central shaft), blind tracery, flanking square buttress with battlemented caps, and crocketed gable above with finial. Each side with 2 cinquefoil-headed blind panels, octagonal pier with moulded base and cap, and disused gas-lamp fitting. Octagonal pinnacle above consisting of blind ogee trefoil-headed panels to sides with gables above, and short crocketed spire with wrought-iron cross finial. Carved panel in arch to east depicting 2 women drawing water from a well. Inscription in arch to west not completely legible at time of survey (November 1986): THIS FOUNTAIN WAS/ ERECTED BY JOHN CHURTON / OF ... / IN LOVING MEMORY OF / HIS PARENTS AND... WIFE / ANN CHURTON AND AS / A MEMORIAL OF HIS / AFFECTIONATE & ENDURING / INTEREST IN THE WELFARE / OF HIS NATIVE TOWN 1882". The fountain formerly stood at the junction of Green End, Brownlow Street, Talbot Street and Station Road, but when the by-pass was built in 1924 it became a hindrance to traffic, and was eventually moved to its present site in the early 1930's. Whitchurch Area Archaeological Group, Whitchurch Remembered (1979), ill.71.

Listing NGR: SJ5450941566

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260592
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Whitchurch Remembered, (1979), ill 71

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03394/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Cooke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].