NOX HOUSE AND ATTACHED STABLES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307468

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: NOX HOUSE AND ATTACHED STABLES, B 4386, NOX

Map

Ordnance survey map of NOX HOUSE AND ATTACHED STABLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307468 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 05:32:00.

Location

Statutory Address: NOX HOUSE AND ATTACHED STABLES, B 4386, NOX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Westbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 41134 10391

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PONTESBURY C.P.

SJ 41 SW

1/216

NOX, B 4386

Nox House and attached stables

II

Former alehouse and attached stables, later shop, subsequently house. Early C19 but possibly incorporating parts of an earlier house, later additions and alterations. Red brick with slate roof and end stacks. Three storeys, dentilled eaves cornice; three-window front, four-light late C19 casements, those on ground and first floor with segmental heads; central entrance; six-panel door with rectangular overlight and flat hood supported on wooden posts.

Stable attached to right; light timber framing, square panels with red brick infill, slate roof. Door to eaves and wide entrance to ground floor.

Known as the 'Star and Ball', the alehouse was the regular meeting place of the Ford manor court between 1674 and 1811.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28 November 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259520

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1968), 261

End of official listing