Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307474.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jun-2021 at 15:29:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Blaby (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 54003 97469


NARBOROUGH SCHOOL LANE SP 59 NW 7/62 Congregational Church GV II

Congregational church. Dated 1770 on bricks, extended cruciform plan 1792, refenestrated 1880, refronted 1882, vestry rebuilt 1900. Pale red brick, the front of larger bricks; break eaves, part moulded, part off-set; slate roof- Cruciform plan with vestry in east angle. 1882 front has off-set buttresses, coped gable with moulded-verge, and octagonal stone finials. To either side, at ground floor and gallery levels, are pairs of arched lights in chamfered stone surrounds. To centre of gable is a round window with beam moulding and chamfered hoodmould. Central porch with coped gable, finial, moulded arch over double doors. Each side of church has gabled projection with marginally glazed windows of 1880. At ground floor level are 2 paired lights with arched glazing bars and cambered heads; above is a large arched window with 'Y' tracery flanked by slightly shorter single arched lights. Rear wing has similar windows but has been altered. Interior has gallery around 3 sides, pews of 1889, other late C19 fittings, and 1930s organ and choir stalls. Commemorative tablets to William Hudson 1811, on entrance wall, and to Rev William Bedford 1863 and wife 1859. Church was founded 1662, and a small square chapel built 1706. Traces of this early building may be incorporated in present structure but are not obvious. (Leicestershire and Rutland Congregational Union, The Story of Our Churches 1662- 1962, p.38-39. Newsletters of Narborough Congregational Church Nos 52-61).

Listing NGR: SP5400397469


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Leicestershire and Rutland Congregational Union, The Story of Our Churches 1662-1962,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00838/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Arnold. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].