This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SPEKE HALL, ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SPEKE HALL, ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1307487

Location

SPEKE HALL, ABOUT 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dowlish Wake

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262161

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DOWLISH WAKE CP ST31SE DOWLISH WAKE VILLAGE 2/41 Speke Hall, about 10 metres north west of Church of St Andrew - GV II Former day and Sunday school, closed 1949; now village hall. 1840, erected by William Speke. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roof to shallow pitch between stepped coped gables with cross-plan finials. single-storey, 6 bays. Pointed- . arched 'Y'-tracery windows of 2 lights with labels, bays 2, 3, 5 and 6; former doorway to bay. 1 now blocker: projecting from bay 4 a later gabled porch with plain chamfered pointed arched doorway and boarded door, with traces of a 4-centre arched label to inner door visible above roof; over former bay 1 doorway a plain stone inscribed 'Erected by William Speke Esq 1840', Single later windows in end gables, C20 extension to rear, Simple interior with coved ceiling exposing collars of roof trusses. Building has important group value with Church of St Andrew (qv). (VCH Somerset, Vol IV. 1978, p156).

Listing NGR: ST3754512957

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 156

National Grid Reference: ST 37545 12957

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307487 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 05:54:27.

End of official listing