- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307537.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2020 at 00:08:42.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 38198 31415
TL 33 SE WYDDIAL WYDDIAL
1/155 Beauchamps (formerly listed 19.10.51 as Beauchamps Farmhouse)
House. Circa 1653 for Ralph Beash (VCH (1914) 82), front cased in brick c.1860. Timber frame exposed in red brick sill (re-using material from demolition of much of Ardeley Place: RCHM Typescript). Polychrome casing to front of red brick with white brick dressings and quoins. Steep old red tile roofs. Tall red brick chimneys. An unusually large internal-chimney, lobby-entry plan house, originally of 2 storeys and attics with a small cellar, facing S. Symmetrical plan (gabled 2-storeys central porch built, and passage driven through stack, in C19) and gabled rear projection at NE and NW each with wide stair rising to attic and a service room on each floor. Contemporary projecting end chimneys each serve 2 floors and attic with chamfered 3-centred brick arched fireplaces on every floor. E half in service use with large kitchen served by middle stack with end parlour and pantry beside stair. Unheated parlour in NW projection behind stair. Hall, and end-parlour with oak scratch moulded panelling occupy W half. Chambers above correspond with divisions of Gd floor, each heated in front range. Symmetrical C19 front has 2 bays to each side of gabled 2 storeys porch defined by pilasters. Large recessed 3-light wooden case- ment windows with horizontal bars, one on each floor in each bay. Square-headed moulded labels of stone or stucco over Gd floor windows. Chamfered plinth. Tudor arched doorway with arched label to entrance with battened door. 2-light casement window over with label and pierced sinous bargeboard with pendant, to gable. Very tall red brick chimneys with square shafts linked at head, 4 in middle stack (rebuilt) and 3 at each end. Exposed timber frame with close studding, and some straight tension bracing, exposed at sides and rear. Single-storey C19 lean-to pentice and gabled porch between twin projections. Interior has chamfered axial beams, clasped-purlin roof and face-halfed bladed scarf joints in wallplates. Moulded plank door to attic and to closet and room over porch. 2-panel raised and fielded door with HL hinges to stair off kitchen (stair dismantled). Decorative H-hinges to 2 tall narrow panelled doors to 'salt cupboards' behind middle stack on 1st floor. Arcaded C17 overmantle in SW parlour. (RCHM (1911)139: VCH (1914) 80: RCHM Typescript)
Listing NGR: TL3819831415
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 80
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing