Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307540.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2021 at 17:59:43.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 13735 22744


NINEHEAD CP ST12SW NINEHEAD VILLAGE 4/72 Nynehead Court and wall adjoining on north side of forecourt 25.1.56 GV II* Country house, now residential home for the elderly. Late medieval in origin, rebuilding and enlargement dated 1675,extended west late C18, north-east kitchen wing raised to 2 storeys, south-east wing raised to 3 and south range reroofed earli-mid C19, entrance resited on east front, internal alterations and redecoration mid- late C20. Rendergrooved as ashlar over rubble exposed in service range, dado, flat string band, dentil cornice to C17 hipped slate roofs, moulded cornices to similar C19 roofs, brick stack to right of entrance, two C19 stacks on south front, 2 tall stacks in north-east corner with bell said to be dated 1747. Courtyard plan; possibly open hall house lying north-south with detached kitchen to north, porch added west front, west wall built out flush with porch, lower end rebuilt and extended north linking single storey kitchen wing, south-east stair wing added, hall ceiled, dining room inserted on south side, drawing roof added to west and subsequently linked to range of service buildings on west front; now entered in east front with garden wall (qv) abutting south-east corner and wall incorporating remains of garden structure abutting north-east. East front: 2 storeys plus attic centre, 2-storey kitchen wing set at an angle right and 3-storey stair case wing projecting left, 3:1:4:1 bays, 3 gabled dormers with C20 casements, one above entrance, 2 to right,left moulded arch head sash windows with keystones, inserted stair light window (partially blocked rising through 2 lower storeys right and cutting string course, evidence of 2 blocked windows in re-entrant angle, entrance bay slightly recessed with late C17 ovolo moulded Venetian style window with carved keystone, right 12-pine sash windows in moulded surrounds with keystones, ground floor window right blocked, ground floor window in re-entrannt angle also blocked and in end hay basked by archway and wall. Entrance panelled battened door of uncertain date, moulded arch head inner doorway with half-glazed door. Garden front of 3;4 bays, 2 storeys left,3 right under same roof, second floor right 2 light casements, otherwise 12-pane sashes; abutting left single storey C20 glazed infill linking gable end of single storey red sandstone random rubble range with segmental headed window, rectangular opening in gable end. Red brick wall on north side of forecourt with nesting boxes on rear elevation. Interior much altered. Ogee headed niche in west wall of porch (now nurses dining room) with chamfered 4-centred arch head outer doorway and arched inner doorway on west side of hall, north side segmental headed pediment with keystone inscribed "E S(andford) E 1675" with broken segmental pediment on rear elevation, chamfered beams with step and runout stops in kitchen wing, roof on east front with early C18 panelling,turned balusters with moulded handrail to dogleg stair; the upper floor rooms have been subdivided with carved overmantel dated 1633 above dining room suggesting date that hall ceiled (although this carving may be C19) and plasterwork wreath; drawing room with fine white marble chimney piece c1760 with dancing figures, number of early C19 doors in situ. This was the home of the Wyke family in the Middle Ages and was purchased from them by Martin Sandford in 1590.His descendants held the property until the 1920s and both families made many contributions to the church of All Saints (qv) to the south-east. The house became a residential home for the elderly in 1949,(Whittaker, Notes on the History of Nynehead Court, 1979 VA6 Report, unpublished SRO, June 1980).

Listing NGR: ST1374122740


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in June, (1980)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,
Whittaker, Notes on the History of Nynehead Court, 1978,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Nov 1999
Reference: IOE01/01448/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Salisbury. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].