THE SPINNNEYS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307546
Date first listed:
15-Nov-1979
Statutory Address:
THE SPINNNEYS, STAMFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SPINNNEYS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307546 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 11:33:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE SPINNNEYS, STAMFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Blaby (District Authority)
Parish:
Kirby Muxloe
National Grid Reference:
SK 52665 03833

Details

KIRBY MUXLOE STAMFORD ROAD SK 50 SW 4/45 The Spinneys 15.11.79 II House. Dated A 1898 D EPR AR on pargetting of bay window on left side. For Edward Percy Rose, dentist. Architect not known but influenced by work of Ernest Gimson. Red brick with Swithland slate roof. Some ornamental half-timbering and pargetting. L-plan with altered service wing to right. 2 storeys and attic. As seen from entrance front, left bay projects with canted corners flanking massive external chimney stack. Chimney has diamond-shaped sundial and corners have sash windows to ground floor. Right bay has paired barred wooden casements with segmental heads. In angle between bays is a canted brick porch projection with 2-storey half-timbered belvedere above. Half-glazed front door with semi- circular panelled wooden hood on shaped brackets. Below hood is a plaster tympanum with relief of trees and inscription "Welcome the coming/speed the parting quest". Belvedere above has 2 rows of leaded casements, whitewashed plaster infill between, deep flat eaves and conical copper roof with lead finial. Left side of house has wide gable to left with leaded venetian window to attic, 2-storey polygonal bay window with flat roof and pargetting between storeys, and other sashes, those to first floor with wooden cornices. Centre of ground floor is recessed with door and leaded casement sheltered by bow timber verandah. Interior has contemporary fireplaces, one with inscription, another with panelled inglenook. Staircase with arcade to entrance hall. Panelled second floor room with decorative truss. The Spinneys is one of a series of large houses built in Kirby Fields, all individually designed, for the professional and wealthy business classes from c,1880.

Listing NGR: SK5266503833

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
188967
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].